Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
also would just like to point out how its the show people being targeted AGAIN. notice how there is no thread in the agility section "felt sorry for some of the agility dogs (crufts)" plenty of stuff that was "bad" to the dogs going on there aswell....

If the 'felt sorry' quote was aimed at me, then maybe that's because I didn't watch the agility so can't comment.

All I know is that my OH and I both thought that one or two of the dogs looked a bit uncomfortable with the lead/collar so high under under their throats.

Two other friends who watched it independently, not with us, also commented.

None of us are 'anti showing' - if we were, why on earth would we be spending our time watching a dog show?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Two out of the many many dogs shown there isnt bad at all..
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
.... i didnt think the sibe was too happy...did i think they were cruel still showing her?....erm no!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I think the word you're looking for is "taut" and not "taught" Dawn
Yes that one too!!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
and jealous of what Dawn?
Oh noooo not you, you couldnt possibly be. Some folk though get a bit jealous of others who show dogs.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
If the 'felt sorry' quote was aimed at me, then maybe that's because I didn't watch the agility so can't comment.

All I know is that my OH and I both thought that one or two of the dogs looked a bit uncomfortable with the lead/collar so high under under their throats.

Two other friends who watched it independently, not with us, also commented.

None of us are 'anti showing' - if we were, why on earth would we be spending our time watching a dog show?
it wasnt aimed at anyone in particular.

and there are anti showing people on here, not necessarily you, or other people who have commented on this particualr thread, but yes there are people on here who are anti showing.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
The dog knows it has a 'job' to do, it only stands to right in such a big class the dog will get a little bored waiting, they soon lift their heads up and perform when out on the move.
Totaly fair enough I can see that would be boring for some of the dogs - I can imagine Ben would be spralled on the floor checking out his bits
I havent seen any of the showing this year but I have to say in the past I have really disliked seeing some breeds being taken round the ring with their heads held right up

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
daphni sprawls out all over the floor when shes waiting, certainly lets the judge know if he/she is going too slow
lol

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Two out of the many many dogs shown there isnt bad at all..
hmm but the thread is about who didnt like to see that - two is still two to many imo
The one thing I like in show peoples posts about showing is how much they and thier dogs love it, how they come alive showing themselves off well in the ring
To get as far as the breed ring I would expect it to be the dogs who loved it the most so I would really not like to see them unhappy

and before anyone says anything - exactly the same for agility. I only seen a little of the agility and I was really pleased to see that the handlers were all taking it in good humor when things went wrong
I have seen at agility shows people getting angry at thier dogs (and I have reported them and had them removed from the show) so glad to see these people dont seem to be getting placed
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I dont think the dogs are unhappy, bored maybe a little fed up with the waiting - but thats not harmful to the dog. Once the dog has took BOB and got to the group thats a big thing - the dog will still perform once in the ring again, and asked to..Its what show dogs do, its what their use to. My dogs for sure use more energy on one of their walks. If the dog wasnt enjoying it the handler would have a tough time getting the dog to move correctly, therefore it would never be placed in such a strong class.
CCs are moved out, heads held up, with an alert expression. The dogs are not un happy, are not being strangled - think about this, you have a show dog, you need it to be happy to wear and lead and walk on one, you start yanking it about, and strangling the poor dog do you think that dog will be happy, comfortable wearing one again if thats how it was treated when wearing one?? I dont think so.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:47 PM
hmm well that is your choice and you know your dogs

Personaly I would have thought if the dogs are supposed to walk with their heads held up shouldnt they hold them up theirselves? If they are being artificialy lifted isnt that a bit like a horse having its head held up - it then causes it to walk in a different way?

Unfortunatly it is possible for dogs to look like they are enjoying prong collars and the like, dogs will put up with pain and discomfort if it is pared with something they enjoy then they put up with it
- not saying that is or is not the case here, just that a dog WOULD continue to look happy even if it was finding the collar uncomfy because that is what they are used to
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:53 PM
The dogs do hold their own heads up, but the lead is still on and around the neck - You wouldnt have the lead dangling down the neck/chest while moving the dog (its ok on a stand) as it will distract the dog certainly will on a hairless - it will rub/tickle. Also giving it a loose lead when turning, you will loose your control - and would not be guiging the dog, the lead may be loose while moving until you turn, when you see it may be tightened. I guess everyone does things different. Them that want their dogs attention/head lifted usally do so with a treat, even a squeaky toy.

I fail to see how a dog could still look happy while wearing a lead/collar that was to tight for the animal.
Page 8 of 28 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »