Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So tell me you put up to 30 agility dogs in the ring at the same time , all with their handlers all off lead and then run them all , they are not going to react?

Oh no , I forgot you don't do you , they go in one by one then when the dog has finished it's run , the handler rushes to grab said dog , using atoy to get it back to them. you have one serious hang up about show dogs!!
Nope - actually - when they used to run the Barbour pairs they would have 2 dogs working next to each other, and circular knock outs have 2 dogs on the same course....
Its not all done one by one.

ETA - forgot the Barbour bomber....4 dogs working next to each other.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

I dont expect my dogs to stop and sniff on an agility run and they are not trained in obedience
Everyone goes on about ringcraft classes, isnt ringcraft about the dog walking in a way to show the dog of that breed to carry itself in the ring? I know people who spend as much time in ringcraft classes as they do in agility or obedience classes, I would have thought that was to do with teaching the dog

No, they're trained to run frantacally round a ring !
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Nope - actually - when they used to run the Barbour pairs they would have 2 dogs working next to each other, and circular knock outs have 2 dogs on the same course....

My 4 dogs , all running at once, let them all of lead and ask only one to run........ What would happen then
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:09 PM

No, they're trained to run frantacally round a ring !
thats unfair JB agility is alot more than that!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
thats unfair JB agility is alot more than that!
have to agree with that.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:12 PM
My 4 dogs , all running at once, let them all of lead and ask only one to run........ What would happen then
One would run? What's your point?

I used to queue with Jazz off lead, and I know several people who have done the same.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
sorry, typo?
Yes sorry , should have said.... They look!

On phone and can't check
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

The main difference for me is that in agility the dogs are hyped up to do the course in a fast time, so their main focus is the handler and doing the obstacles. With showing you can't hype the dog up as it wouldn't move correctly for the judge to assess it. If I took a tennis ball into the show ring with me Isla would move off lead no problem, but she'd rarely have four feet on the ground (actually very similar to just normal showing for Isla!)! Moving 20+ dogs around an open ring off the lead would be very dangerous IMO any number of things could happen. The dog could get spooked and run off, a male dog would probably go off after a bitch in season, two dogs could take a dislike over each other and start a fight etc. If you really think about it having 20+ dogs off the lead when they're not hyped up and therefore far less focused would be highly dangerous!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
The main difference for me is that in agility the dogs are hyped up to do the course in a fast time, so their main focus is the handler and doing the obstacles. With showing you can't hype the dog up as it wouldn't move correctly for the judge to assess it. If I took a tennis ball into the show ring with me Isla would move off lead no problem, but she'd rarely have four feet on the ground (actually very similar to just normal showing for Isla!)! Moving 20+ dogs around an open ring off the lead would be very dangerous IMO any number of things could happen. The dog could get spooked and run off, a male dog would probably go off after a bitch in season, two dogs could take a dislike over each other and start a fight etc. If you really think about it having 20+ dogs off the lead when they're not hyped up and therefore far less focused would be highly dangerous!
Its all about training, I guess I look at it from that perspective.

Hyped behaviour is no good without the self control.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:16 PM
whilst i do understand the lead thing...

agility is not flyball.. dogs are not hyped up..dogs knock jumps and take wrong courses if they are
Page 16 of 28 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »