Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I know for sure it shouldnt be rehomed,
I wonder how many professional behaviourists would definitively advise on the basis of an internet post?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Dawn she is female and was around 18months when it happened and yes she did graze a 3year old childs face causing bruising and swelling and she's still here.
I just can't see how this incident is being interpreted as an attack with the level of injury being described.
If a Dobermann intended to attack a young child or anyone else for that matter it would take a hefty chunk out of whatever part of the body it aimed it's attack at rather than leave a graze and a bruise. Even a nip would do damage. As for the trying to get back when being pulled off, I've already said I think it was probably giving a good telling off. Syd does it to Frank whenever Frank pushes his considerable patience but never even makes contact. He's not adverse to telling my Grand daughter off in a similar fashion, he's telling her to do one, b*gger off and leave him alone. The difference is Syd is as steady as a rock and has had a damn good upbringing and knows his boundaries, that doesn't mean he should put up with being yanked about when he's already made it plain he doesn't want it. The owner doesn't sound that confident tbh and that's not a dig. I can fully understand she was freaked out by the incident.
I totally agree with the bits in bold here. What we need to remember is

A) None of us were there so don't truly know what happened

B) It's very likely that the OP was very stressed and upset by the incident possibly leading to the view of events being skewed/blown out of proportion a little.

I can't count the amount of times I've seen two dogs really go at each other and thought to myself "OMG they're going to kill each other" only to find when they're separated there's not a scratch on either of them (and yes I know there's not a child involved but it's a uesful analogy!).

Originally Posted by kitty
.........the next thing I knew the dog was on top of my son, barking and growing, I struggled to drag him off, all the time he was lunging and pulling back to get to my son....Whilst I was dragging him off, it worried me that he was trying to get back and carry on and I could just tell that if he had been really biting him I would have never been able to stop him.
I can't help but think that if the dog really did have to be dragged off because it was wanting to seriously hurt the child, then it would've done the serious damage prior to being dragged off? If the dog was on top of the OPs Son and the child only recieved a nip then I have to say this dog actually sounds very tolerant and has hellish bite inhibition. It's highly likely the dog got a fright/was in pain etc and reacted the only way it knows how - shouting (considering it's unstable background and skin condition).

Now I'm not saying the OP is lying, but I think we do have to bare in mind that the adrenalin will have been pumping and in these situations things always appear worse. It's also very easy to become emotive when a dog hurts a child, all I ask is that people try and offer constructive advice instead of pulling each other to bits - it won't help the OP at all.

My advice would be to get the dog to the vets for a health check and then please contact the rescues you've been given the details of. It doesn't sound to me like this dog is worthy of being PTS - if it had really wanted to hurt your child he would have.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I can't help but think that if the dog really did have to be dragged off because it was wanting to seriously hurt the child, then it would've done the serious damage prior to being dragged off?.
My thought exactly and the OPer said her self

'if he had been really biting him I would have never been able to stop him'
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by RedyreRotties View Post
I'm sorry, but if this were my dog, I would not rehome him, I would euthanize him. Had you not been RIGHT THERE, there is no telling what would have happened.

There is no way you can be sure that this dog will never have access to another child. As much as I love dogs, I would never take any chance especially with a dog like this who apparently just snapped with no warning. It makes me suspect that this is why the dog was given up in the first place.

I am so sorry, these situations are very painful. I am so glad your child was not more severely injured.

Please be careful (as I am certain you are) until you get that dog out of your house one way or the other.

((hugs))
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If it were my dog, he would of been PTS by now, sorry, too dangerous to trust.

I have to say, I to would not trust a dog that bit a 3yr old in the face, sorry I just could not.
given what you have said, nothing horrid happend to the dog for it to attack. Even if something had happend and the dog had the ability to get away but chose to attack.
A dog that bites a child shouldnt be homed on again. JMHO
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by kitty View Post
We have had our dog since 17th March, he is approx 4 years old and was rescued from the RSPCA about 12 months ago by a friend, her circumstances changed and she was looking to send him back to the RSPCA.
I said we would take him for a couple of weekends to see how things went, anyway we ended up keeping him.
He has always been very dog aggressive and does have big scars on his back and small ones on his head so I think he has been attacked by a dog but since my friend got him he has never been aggressive to people.

This morning my 3 year old son and our dog were both right in front of me, (I have always been careful never to leave them alone) I watched my son stand alongside the dog and stoke his back, I was on the lap top and looked away at the screen, the next thing I knew the dog was on top of my son, barking and growing, I struggled to drag him off, all the time he was lunging and pulling back to get to my son.
I put him straight outside and ran back to my son and the dog has kind of nipped him on the side of his face next to his eye, at first it looked like all bruised and swollen and like there was blood welling up beneath the skin, but now like the skin is actually broken.
Its not a really bad bite or anything but I'm so worried as to what he might do it he tried it again.
Whilst I was dragging him off, it worried me that he was trying to get back and carry on and I could just tell that if he had been really biting him I would have never been able to stop him.
I feel terrible now, its my fault as I should never have taken a dog I who's full background I didn't know and put my children at risk, and what happens now, I have phoned the RSPCA for advice and they have no room and I would be on a 6 month waiting list, if I told anyone else they might say Oscar needs to be put down, when I put him in this position in the first place.
I don't know what to do, If the RSPCA can't take him what can I do?
In every way he seems to be such a friendly dog to people, I never have had to worry about people coming round as he never barks or anything, all he wants is to be stroked.
I just don't know what to do.
Reading all of the op's post.. I read it as she doesn't want to get the dog pts.

But the op is an inexperienced Dobe owner with a 3 year old child in the house.. Unless she can guarantee that she can keep the child seperate to the dog untill she can find someone willing to take on this dog, then I feel she is taking a huge risk.

I dont think the dog meant to full out attack, If this Dobe meant to attack then the child would not have just been nipped.

The op admits in her first post that she turned to look at the laptop, so we dont know if the dog did infact try to warn the child off or not.. If your back is turned, you cant see the dogs lip curling, or perhaps didn't hear a very low grumble coming from the dog in the first place.

I also think with the fact the dobe has a patchy coat, licks his flank etc that he could quite easily have a thyroid problem, if he does then that would possibly account for his change in behaviour.
But, even if the dog is tested and is found to have a thyroid problem, I dont feel that the op is confident enough to be able to deal with a full grown male dobe, who she feels she cant control.

The dog either needs to go to a breed specific rescue who are told everything about the biting incident, and who can take the time to assess the dog properly. Or rehomed to an experienced person who has previous knowledge of Dobermann's, has owned the breed for a long time, or has previous experience with large guarding breeds ( and has no small children!)..
Or be P.T.S ....

It's a very sad situation either way, but the op has to put her childs safety first and foremost!
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I have just quickly scanned the posts on here, so sorry If I have missed something important.

We all love dogs, I would think, otherwise we would not be here but to me it is simple. Kids come first, every time!!

The dog needs to be properly evaluated by a professional, medically and behaviorally. We do not know the previous history, but I would never in a million years allow that dog to be near young children at the moment.

I see some of you are saying that the level of injury did not merit an "attack" Sorry but any dog that lunges, bites, barks and growls, bruises and punctures a child's face is in attack mode, especially if he has to be pulled off!! Whether it was from fear or pain or putting the child in it's place, the dog is not to be trusted with kids. From the description, this was no quick snap, the dog meant it!

I know that dogs can be turned around, and become fantastic pets, but family life is stressful enough, without continually being worried about where is the dog, where is the child all the time, and unfortunately it will be the child who suffers if things go wrong.

Yes, dogs sometimes make silly mistakes and decisions, just like us, but the repercussions for a young child are enormous.

I am sorry that I cannot really add anything positive here, or a way forward, do what you can for the dog, get professional advice, contact the breed rescue but do not risk the child being hurt again.
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
"Whilst I was dragging him off, it worried me that he was trying to get back and carry on and I could just tell that if he had been really biting him I would have never been able to stop him"

Just let me go on a bit as I'm trying to picture your situation and please don't think I'm making light of a serious situation becasue I'm not.

I'm asuming your child was on the floor dog on top of him snarling growling trying to finish him off? or in your words getting back to him to carry on!!

Or your child was on the floor crying because the dog had swung its head round caught your child on the face injuring him and the dog wanted to see what all the fuss was about hence you having to pull him off?

You see I can't quite understand why you have had the dog there for 6wks (I think you said) then its bitten I would think it would have been aggressive with children from day 1

I myself have had swollen / cut lip black eye bloody nose and I still carry a scar from a head butt I have had a few bleeding incidents over the years and they have all happened during play with me not being quick enough to dodge there head.

Bilclarie
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm sorry, but as a mother and a Dobermann owner the dog would have to be pts. Don't get me wrong, I love and adore my dogs but the safety of my own children has to always come first, it's simply not possible to keep a dog locked away from a toddler all of the time (which is what some of you are suggesting the OP does)

I feel this dog could be an accident waiting to happen, tests take time to carry out and diagnose - how long do people seriously suggest this poor person hang onto the dog before the next incident happens?

I'm sorry, just saying this how I see it, as a mother with a Dobermann and a Toddler.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2010, 10:28 PM
I think most of us who were saying not to pts were saying try to rehome via one of the Dobermann rehoming centres with a full statement of the facts. The dog isn't in the right home and with the best will in the world she doesn't have the experience or the confidence to deal with the problem.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I think most of us who were saying not to pts were saying try to rehome via one of the Dobermann rehoming centres with a full statement of the facts. The dog isn't in the right home and with the best will in the world she doesn't have the experience or the confidence to deal with the problem.
I agree, in light of the circumstances I don't think any rescue would take him, most would only have to hear, attack, nip/bite, lunge/child - the rest would be history his fate would be sealed.

Whilst I agree it's probable in the right home the dog could be rehabilatated the OP is stuck in the unfortunate position of worrying this could happen again in the next few days, weeks/months or whatever it takes to find that ''right'' home with a three year old running around. I know those little fingers and hands get everywhere so there could be no guarantee's that both the dog and the child were kept apart at all times, it's not do-able a child of that age simply don't understand the dangers of being told ''don't'' or ''no'' and whilst the dog I feel isn't fully to blame here it isn't fair the 'OP' has the burden of the worry of the what ''ifs'' should they not have the dog pts until a place in rescue come available, which could take weeks/months.

We sit here moaning all the time that our precious dogs are seen in a bad light everytime a dog is seen in the news having attacked or killed a child, scenario here on this thread I feel it's unfair anyone should expect that the OP makes this child another statistic.
Closed Thread
Page 12 of 47 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »