View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:58 PM
How stupid to class the dog as a danger! Any dog would get excited by chickens, they flap and make an exciting noise. why do people think dogs like toys that squeak and look like prey animals?

I agree about the getting out thing though, once is an accident any more times and its just the owner being careless.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Owners responsibilty to KNOW what they have in a Mal, a high prey drive Dog. They should be made to take that responsibilty and be heavily fined and keep the dog under proper control or have it taken from them and homed with people who can give the dog what it needs.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 03:07 PM
My 3 would kill in a second... but it would be totally my own fault if they ever got the chance. Stupid & irresponsible owners.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Dogs are being dogs in my opinion........the owners need to make it thier responsiblity to keep proper control.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
WEll... Malamutes have a prey drive.. chicken is food..poor chicken..
In our house - chickens with feathers are family, chickens from Tesco are food ...
I would be devastated if any of my dogs killes a chicken - but dogs are dogs and it wouldn't make them dangerous dogs (except to chickens)

Some Malamutes are totally safe with chickens etc but most aren't - a shame this one got the chicken and so very sad but awful things do happen. Over reaction is never apporopriate.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
In our house - chickens with feathers are family, chickens from Tesco are food ...
I would be devastated if any of my dogs killes a chicken - but dogs are dogs and it wouldn't make them dangerous dogs (except to chickens)

Some Malamutes are totally safe with chickens etc but most aren't - a shame this one got the chicken and so very sad but awful things do happen. Over reaction is never apporopriate.
Lol..But your dogs are nuts

Having said what I have said,,IF the dogs are brought up with them in the house then they may be safe...My dogs leave my cat alone..but any crossing through the garden are fair game..
artemis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2008, 03:42 PM
A bit drastic I would have thought! Silly owner for allowing the dog to stray on more than one occasion. Hopefully this will make him think. Had a Retriever several years ago. Soft as butter. Was at a friends house clipping one of her nags when I realised that I had not seen Clover for a while. Not a dog to leave my side for long so went in search. She was in the field next door with a chicken between her paws plucking the feathers off its back. Not any chicken of the dozen that she kept but the one eyed rescue hen with the limp! OMG! Poor bird was still alive but sadly died later of shock! Did I feel bad. Have also kept chickens and had one particular bantam that was flighty and one day it flew up out of the run into next doors garden. Their Springer killed it. Just think its instinct. Know one of my terriers was always waiting for an opportunity. Just doggy nature I am afraid.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't know how it works in the US but I have seen on breed programmes where some pet dogs do wonder to some extent. I would be mortified if mine did but it may be diff in some places out there
deez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2008, 07:21 PM
stupid owner i'd have to agree. poor dog- just did what comes naturally. wonder if theyd have said he was dangerous if he'd killed something like a rat???
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Oh for goodness sake - a slight over reaction methinks! Just because a dog has killed a chicken doesn't mean they are a dangerous dog

The owner should have ensured their propery was more secure but labelling the dog dangerous because it was following its natural instinct ...

Poor dog
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >