Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 01:41 PM

Dog Kills Chicken

This is a USA link about an Alaskan Malamute who got free (apprently he does 'roam') and killed a chicken. Just wondered what peoples thoughts on Dogsey are about it.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/n...r/1270204.aspx
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Gah! Killing a chicken doesn't make a dog dangerous!!

My Murphy has (unfortuately) killed 2 of next doors chickens and taken a pigeon out of the air - and he's a Boxer!!

Absolute over-reaction if you ask me.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't think that makes him a dangerous dog, I think he is doing as nature intended him to.

I am annoyed at his owner because the article states that this is the 4th incident he has been involved in while he was out roaming. Sadly another idiot irresponsible owner has allowed a chicken to be killed, which must have been horrific for the chicken, devastating for the owner of the chicken and given the anti dog brigade more fuel for their fire.

In the last 6 weeks we have got some ex-battery chickens and it actually seems to happen a fair bit that dogs kill chickens. As a new chicken owner I have been looking at websites and some threads were discussing possible chicken predators and a number of the members, I take it that a footpath runs through their lands, have reported that dogs have killed their chickens.

Max is kept in a separate part of the garden to our girls because I think for many dogs, something that flaps and makes such interesting noises is fair game.

I don't know how I would feel about a dog if it got into my garden and got one of my girls, I hope that I never find out. I'd want the owner to suffer though if I found out they repeatedly let their dog roam. Accidents do happen and dogs get over, under and through boundaries I do understand that, but to repeatedly let you dog roam is just stupid.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I think all 3 of my dogs would kill a chicken given half a chance. Shame that its the 4th time he's had to be told about his dog wandering though.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I think its silly, hes not dangerous because he killed a chicken

but he does need to sort out the dog getting out..
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:05 PM
WEll... Malamutes have a prey drive.. chicken is food..poor chicken

Owner is to blame for letting the dog escape.. he needs to make sure his garden is totally escape proof.. if it had been sheep and it had been here..dog would have been shot..poor dog..still silly owner!

I don't think he needs muzzled as if he was in his own garden or on a lead..this wouldn't happen..
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Sorry, my first post was a bit "to the point"

I agree with all of you!

The dog owner is to blame, but more for letting his dog roam and not having the presence of mind to secure it.

We have chickens too (despite Murphy's proclivities for moving food) and they are kept in a run, behind a fence. That way neither of the dogs can get to them.

When Murphy escaped into next door's garden and killed one of their chickens, I was mortified. We've since upgraded our fencing, and check it on a regular basis.

You can't stop a dog's prey drive in that way, but you can stop the dog wandering/roaming and thus prevent the dog killing chickens etc...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Woa-betide any chicken that came near Mo and she is the softest thing there is.
Isn't this what dogs do?
As others have said, about time the owner got things sorted.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2008, 02:23 PM
I think if most dogs got hold of a chicken they would kill it!
It would simply be life KFC to humans!
Defo DONT think it makes the dog dangerous...(well maybe to chickens) thats about it!
I do agree that it is the owner's fault, the dog should of been (on a lead/ securely in a garden/house/kennel)etc.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree with the others.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >