Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twiglet422
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:10 AM

Im so upset and angry

After loosing our Greyhound a while ago we decided it would be nice to get a new friend for my baby Sasha (not a kid my dog!!!) So after looking around we found the sweetest litter of pups went to see them and picked one out gave the breeder a £50 non-returnable deposit and she was going to deliver this weekend. Had an email yesterday morning saying she now no longer has the pups and when her 'mate' moved out he took them with him. So asked for the number of this guy and rang him have had no answers to any of my calls, texts, emails. So looks like ive be had. Now im so upset as not only have i lost £50 but i was really looking forward to having her home and have brought alsorts of stuff for the new pup. How can people do this im so angry about it
Sorry for rant but needed to let off some steam
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Thats awful... im really sorry, and can understand how upset you must be feeling...and let down! Im sorry I have no advice, Im sure other dogsey members will be much more help than me, but I hope you can get this resolved??? xxxxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:38 AM
It may have been a 'non-refundable deposit' but I'm pretty sure they would be on very shakey grounds trying to keep the money when they were unwilling/unable to keep their side of the deal. Your contract was with this woman - if she no longer has the pups, that's her look out.

Make sure you keep all the email correspondence + notes of any phone conversations + dates/times etc of when you attempted to contact them.

I would demand my money back and if she won't give it, tell them you are going to take action. You can make a claim through the courts (magistrates court I think) known as 'small claims' case. The procedure is relatively straight forward - you just have to fill in some fairly basic forms.

definitely worth the half hour or so it will take to do imo.

I know you don't want a lecture at the moment, but for the benefit of others reading, this does highlight one of the many downsides of going to byb breeders.

As for the pup, if its not a particular breed you're after, why not see what the local rescue has - many of them often have pups in as well as older dogs. At least you know they won't shaft you.

Good luck - I hope you get your money back and manage to get a new pup from a more reputitable breeder/rescue centre.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Agree with Hali. You have a right to your money back (even if it was a "non refundable" that's on the basis of you changing your mind not the breeder backs out). And yes you can threaten going to the small claims court.

Good luck and hope you can find another puppy soon from a better breeder. Out of interest, what kind of dog are you getting? Am sure there are plenty of people on here who can point you in the direction of good breeders if you let them know what you are after!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Woodstock & Hali have said it all i.e. you had a contract (albeit a verbal one) with the women and you should definately threaten the 'small claims court' action, it is simple to do and quite effective. Keep any e-mails etc that you do have as these will be useful evidence and sad to say don't use a byb in future.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Awww...i know how exciting it is waiting to get a pup. I know the money thing is a ****** too.
Hope they get some morals and sort you out.
x
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi Twiglet422
I recently got a pup and I know how excited I was for weeks waiting for her . I bought all sorts of things too and I know you must be devastated . Like others have said here I would pursue this . The woman cannot be allowed to get away with this . It won't help you but it might save someone else from going through the pain you are going through .
If it was a particular breed or pup then look for another don't let this put you off . There are lots of good breeders out there and lots of people can help you find them .
Hoping to see a pic of the little pup you do get soon
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
So sorry you've been had like this, so unfair of people to do this to someone As Hali and the others have said, you can go to the small claims court, it'll cost you around £40 to take out a claim against them and you would win!! Then they pay all the costs too! Doesn't help your case though I know, but you would get your money back, even if it was at £1 a week (which they usually get away with doing!!! ). Try and forget it and move on once you've put the claim in. Good luck, I hope you find another little puppy to get over this nasty taste, grrrrr, people!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So sorry you've been had like this, so unfair of people to do this to someone As Hali and the others have said, you can go to the small claims court, it'll cost you around £40 to take out a claim against them and you would win!! Then they pay all the costs too! Doesn't help your case though I know, but you would get your money back, even if it was at £1 a week (which they usually get away with doing!!! ). Try and forget it and move on once you've put the claim in. Good luck, I hope you find another little puppy to get over this nasty taste, grrrrr, people!!!
H, I hadn't realised that it costs £40 to make a claim - if so, hardly seems worth it as the claim is £50 and although in theory you can get your costs back, sometimes it doesn't work out like that. I thought the whole idea of the small claims court was that it was cheap and easy to use!!

Twiglet - I'd still look into it and even if you decide not to pursue there's no reason why you can't still tell them that you're going to.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Well, I'm actually guessing there Hali, because a few years ago I seemed to be forever doing them for Dave with bad payers, and it always cost £30 a go back then, so I stuck another tenner on it thinking since everything else has gone up this would have to??? It MIGHT still be £30 and they haven't changed it for a few years though? As you say, if she wins, which she would, then she'd get her costs back anyways?

Yes Twiglet, as Hali says, give her hell, make her quivver in her boots, let her know you're taking the matter further even if you don't! They might be a couple of con merchants who do this all the time. They might even go so far as to "borrow" the puppies from a friend who's poor dog has to spit them out time after time too!!! Grrrr. I detest people like this. This is classed as "fraud". If you pay a deposit for something and the something disappears, then you get your deposit BACK everytime!!! Maybe speak to the police about it (yeah I know, but they might have some advice for you?). Good luck and please let us know!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >