Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Jimmi and the cat

We had a lovely day yesterday - loads of friends and family around for a late lunch after the Meet, a little too much wine maybe, but feeling happy and mellow and ready for an earlier night than usual after a hectic couple of days.

Jimmi went out for his final wee and mooch around, and we heard that distinctive scream of his that means a cat has been, or is in, the garden. We weren't too concerned because this is a regular occurrence, but knew that our good night's sleep would be delayed because it always takes him half an hour of racing around before he is finally convinced that the cat has made it's escape over the wall.

After five minutes he was still screaming so I went outside to investigate. He was going completely mental, tearing around as if his stumpy tail was on fire and clearly in a very high state of excitement - much more than usual. Could I catch the little blighter......not a chance in a million, and I was becoming seriously worried because he kept tearing down the pebble path at the side of the house (which he never normally goes down because it doesn't lead anywhere and is boring), and I was imagining the state of his dodgy paws.

After some considerable time I managed to trap him in the small back garden and eventually from there cornered him and picked him up to take him inside, much to his disgust. It was only when I took him into the kitchen, and into the light, that I realised that he was covered in blood (and so was my white fluffy dressing gown ). He was so hyper and frantic to get back outside that it was difficult to see what was going on, but eventually we discovered a torn ear and several scratch marks on the top of his head and back of his neck. It was the ear that was bleeding profusely, as they do, and it was this that had covered the rest of him in gore. There was also blood in and around his mouth, but absolutely no sign of any damage so I can only assume that it was from the cat

We cleaned the wounds, which was mighty difficult given the state that he was in - keeping still was just not an option; but every time that the ear stopped bleeding, he raced around the house practically bouncing off the walls, and started it up again.

It was over an hour before he stopped racing and panting and therefore, bleeding; a further hour until he stopped whining and barking to be let out again, and then another half hour until he was finally calm enough to be put to bed in the kitchen. So much for an early night

I was able to clean him up properly this morning, and am keeping everything crossed about those paws - he is so jiggered today (he's not the only one) that he didn't mind not having a walk, it being replaced by a hibiscrub foot bath!

Why oh why do these cats continue to come into this garden It takes a huge effort to get in here, there is no easy way, and getting out is even worse because the ground is lower on this side of the wall. I admit to feeling very angry about it last night, but I do hope that the cat is not badly hurt.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Oh no!!

Poor Jimmi, and even poorer you! It makes no sense that a cat continues to come in your garden when you have a terrier patrol. It must have very few brain cells. I hope Jimmi gave it a fright and it doesnt come back!!

Give Jimmi a hug from me and I have everything crossed that his paws remain well. Silly boy doesnt know whats best for him sometimes, does he?!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I know Jeanna........never mind the cat not having a brain cell, sometimes I don't think that Jimmi has one either

I have just passed on your hug, and please give the delicious Jinty one from me
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 08:57 PM
oh poor jimmi and poor cat ! I have the same here but the cats have given up coming in but they do taunt him from the top of the shed and along the side walls. Perhaps this is a new cat or a cat who fancies his chances.