View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: 1, 2 or more?
1 - One dog at a time is plenty... 8 9.88%
2 - I like a pair of dogs... 31 38.27%
3+ - Life's not right without a pack... 42 51.85%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:10 PM
I find having eight dogs really enjoyable. They really love the doggy playing and company and I love snuggling up on the sofa with all eight and the three kids. It is very snug and cosy

It can be hard work, the bathing, grooming, training, walking and so on but with them being toy breed, they don't take too long to do anything with. They don't require long walks either.

The only difficult thing is taking them out in the car and visiting, etc. I obviously can't take all at once, so try to be fair and give each a turn.

The hardest work is keeping the garden "clean" but I manage it.

I intend to add to my doggy pack too, over the years when I move to that big house with grounds out in the country or by the sea (nothing wrong with dreaming a little)
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:13 PM
I have had at least 4 for the past 18 years and 2 before that . Occasionally I have had 5 but I much prefer 4 .
OH would probably say he would prefer to have 2
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes good point CC...thats the only downfall ! The more dogs you have the more poo to pick up!! Apart from that the more the merrier !
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I have had at least 4 for the past 18 years and 2 before that . Occasionally I have had 5 but I much prefer 4 .
OH would probably say he would prefer to have 2
Yes, my OH would say that too!!!! Mind you, I don't ask him to walk them or clean up after them, so he can't complain too much (though he probably does to his mates ).
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Yes good point CC...thats the only downfall ! The more dogs you have the more poo to pick up!! Apart from that the more the merrier !

Yeah, would be good if a dog food could be invented that gave the dog all their nutrients and poop was reduced to a bare minimum! Wishful thinking on my part
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 03:51 PM
3-4 is a nice number - I like having them around and It is great to be able to sometimes take one or 2 and be able to leave the others with each other as company.

I would imagine holidays are hard - but I don;t really do that!
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Well I have 7 here which is fine, if you like sitting on the floor

Mo and the Gang
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post
Well I have 7 here which is fine, if you like sitting on the floor

ha ha! Good point!!
I cant get on my sofas half the time...I only have 3 dogs...and three sofas!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I have 2 at the moment, but my ideal number was 3 and am looking to get back to that number very soon, but don't tell OH I have had as many as 4, but find 3 is an ideal number because then you can take one out for one to one and the other one still has a friend
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi,

We've always had 1 or 2 dogs when growing up and living with my parents but as an adult since University, I've only had a single/lone dog once. when she died in 2004 I was devastated to the point that I felt my own life wasn't worth living. I know this was an extreme raction but to lose the only thing that really meant anything to me is somethign I couldn't cope with again.

Since then I've raised my Son alone (so far) and now have 3 dogs. I think dogs do better themselves generally if they're in at least a pair. I reckon the jump from 1 to 2 dogs can put people off with the amount of work and training that can be involved but once you've done it with 2, then 3 or 4 makes no real difference (other than the amount of poop scooping that's needed).

Having 3 at the moment keeps me busy enough but at the moment, there's always 1 that gets left out. If I take them out it's either as a pack of 3, or on their own. I change this around every so often so that's not really a problem. But the walk we went on today where we met up with others from this site is an ideal example. Ellie (my GSD/Akita) hasn't bene on one of these walks (she's too lazy and I'd have to carry her). Zane and Yiannis seem to enjoyit more and get the benefit of such walks but I feel guilty about leaving ellie out. I wouldn't leave her on her own at home and take both boys out so they have to take it in turns.

when I have 4 dogs, they will be paired off for walks,trainng etc. Those pairs will be alternated lots so they'll all get the chance to work and play with al the other dogs.

when my Son is older (as in 16+) I'll have at least 5/6 dogs and will proably live near the coast or somewhere where there is breathtaking scenery to look at during our walks (maybe Wales?). Although that's a pipe dream at the moment.

But to return to the original question, now I've had mor ethan 1 dog, I can't imagine what it wouldbe like to have just 1 again.

I think I'm too used to the noise and chaos that goes with having 3+ dogs.

Laura xx
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >