Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nerdyman
New Member!
Female 

27-11-2008, 03:39 AM
HELP!

hey so did it work in the end? i just got a toy poodle pup as well. i am trying to cage-train it but it kept barking all night. i am afraid it might wakes the neighbour as i live in an apartment. how long does it takes for it to quieten down? please give me some advice.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by nerdyman View Post
HELP!

hey so did it work in the end? i just got a toy poodle pup as well. i am trying to cage-train it but it kept barking all night. i am afraid it might wakes the neighbour as i live in an apartment. how long does it takes for it to quieten down? please give me some advice.
You can see quite clearly by the previous posts that it did indeed work!

Good luck with you pup
jacknmads
New Member!
Female 

02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Sophie* View Post
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to update incase anyone with a new puppy felt as bad as I did when Oscar first came home. He is crate trained (and about 95% toilet trained !!! ). He has been with us for 2 weeks and is almost 11 weeks old. At night, Oscar goes in his crate and doesn't cry. He doesn't make any noise in the crate until he hears someone come down the stairs in the morning. Even then, it's only because he's excited.

When Oscar is tired in the day, he'll wander into his bed in the crate for a nap. We call it his "bedroom". No crying in the crate at all!!!!! Although sometimes he gets a bit cross and barks for a few mins in the morning when I go up for a shower after breakfast but he's still learning his routine. Success - not only will he go in without crying but he actually likes it and doesn't leap out so we don't have to feel like we're "shutting him in". I'm so glad I stuck with the crate training. I was considering giving it up but it's 100% worth it for Oscar and for us.

Sophie, you have inspired me! I have joined because I read your original thread as I'm too going through exactly the same thing. I have a little shih tzu cross 8 weeks old and have had 4 nights of hell, last night being the worst as the crying was still going on at 4am not only that, the noise woke my little girl up at 2am so she had a terrible nights sleep too. I've read all the replies you got and the fact that you got there in the end has cheered me up no end, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Quite honestly, at 4am this morning I was practically rocking backwards and forwards wondering what on earth I had done! So thank you. I am going to try the crate thing tonight and whoever suggested wearing earphones..what a fantastic idea too! My stomach is still turning in knots at the thought of the night ahead, but I'm definitely a lot more hopeful than I was half an hour ago !
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that we spend lots of time teaching our pups to be independant and not need us and the expect them to want to be with us and not indepedant when we are out.

Me---I would put the crate in the bedroom with me and wait till the pup was older and more secure before gradually moving the crate out.

rune
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that we spend lots of time teaching our pups to be independant and not need us and the expect them to want to be with us and not indepedant when we are out.

Me---I would put the crate in the bedroom with me and wait till the pup was older and more secure before gradually moving the crate out.

rune
thats what i did... well... am doing lol. jake is still in my room but the crate will be going soon and then he will get a bed in the kitchen... but i know that he will be fine on his own in there.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Sophie, you have inspired me! I have joined because I read your original thread as I'm too going through exactly the same thing. I have a little shih tzu cross 8 weeks old and have had 4 nights of hell, last night being the worst as the crying was still going on at 4am not only that, the noise woke my little girl up at 2am so she had a terrible nights sleep too. I've read all the replies you got and the fact that you got there in the end has cheered me up no end, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Quite honestly, at 4am this morning I was practically rocking backwards and forwards wondering what on earth I had done! So thank you. I am going to try the crate thing tonight and whoever suggested wearing earphones..what a fantastic idea too! My stomach is still turning in knots at the thought of the night ahead, but I'm definitely a lot more hopeful than I was half an hour ago !
Hi Jackie I am assuming the puppy was left alone?
When your little girl was a few weeks old, if someone had removed her from you and taken her to another house would you have been surprised if she had cried?

Do you think it would have been ok for the person looking after her to wear ear phones so the cries couldn't be heard?
Your puppy has been taken from its mother and siblings and will be feeling alone and unprotected .Your puppy's cries are an attempt to communicate distress to its mother.

I always have puppies with me during the night to begin with see below...

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2009, 11:05 PM
start as you mean to go on, it is easier to have good behaviour from the off than rectifying it later on. he will be fine
ATD x
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Its a puppy- it doesn't know what is going on, one min it is with mum and siblings, the next in a strange place ALONE for the first time in its little life.
Sorry but my puppy spent her first night in the bedroom!!
Need I add I never had any behavioral problems as a result and happily integrated her to the kitchen when she was a bit older and more secure.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
I have always slept downstairs on the settee with the pup in its bed by the side of me. Then after a few nights I go upstairs and I have never had any problems. I suppose everyone has different ideas. The way I look at it the poor pup has lost its mum and siblings and in a strange home so they just need to know someone is there and they are not all alone.
This is what I do too

New pups are scared without their dam and siblings, and suddenly they are transported to a strange place and expected to learn to stop crying for company when they are at their most vulnerable.

It doesn't have to be done this way any more.
I always try to imagine the dog's emotions as a dog - there is good reason for their crying.

I also believe that the most confident dogs are ones that are gradually introduced to being alone at night

Good luck!

Wys
x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
start as you mean to go on, it is easier to have good behaviour from the off than rectifying it later on. he will be fine
ATD x
That is so sad----the pup is a baby and has to learn loads of new things all at once from strangers. They are animals who thrive in a group and on top of all the new stuff we expect them to lie down and sleep on there own to fit in with our neat tidy lives.

Take it upstairs and give it lots of love and security, it won't hurt and you will enjoy the pup and it will learn to trust you and rely on you to protect it.

rune
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >