View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 03:43 PM
I have always liked him but was obviously aware in my own mind that the tv viewer wasn't seeing everything that went on and often wondered what actually happened 'off camera'. I'm disappointed to read this about him though.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
that man makes my blood boil..there is a [a social network] group (beyond cesar) and some of the evidence of his abuse is shocking. how anyone can think that how he behaves with dogs is correct is beyond me. vile man, and a bully
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Shame someone cannot find out what sets him up to fail and subject him to a bit of his own medicine.

Having a fear aggressive dog myself I hate to think what these poor dogs go through when subjected to this kind of treatment. Makes me
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 09:25 PM
My niece and nephew-in-law visited my Mum's today when I was round with my dogs. He is Serbian and they live in Serbia. He is a fan of Cesar Milan and he kept doing "TTT" noises to Cherry when she went near his little boy on his lap! I did explain that she was partly-sighted and only wanted to see him more clearly but never mind! Poor Cherry!

I didn't realise CM would be popular in Serbia though. He gets everywhere.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I think all dog training shows will have a need to show the dog being bad! Otherwise the end result isn't very impressive.

I'm sure all these shows will in some way wind the dog up so it demonstrates the behaviour, they may not put it in the same terms as the DW show but they still do it.

On the subject of milan in general, I like some of his stuff, he gets a good result with many dogs.

This guy is better though! http://www.youtube.com/user/chriscreateharmony1

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I understand there is also evidence for him conditioning the dogs beforehand?

President of the Animal Protection Services for the Society, Bill Torgerson, DVM, MBA noted that the safety of a woman with a GSD was jeopardised in one episode by the use of an[mod edit]. The tormented dog redirected its aggression to its owner biting her arm. Television audiences never saw Millan attempt to modify the dog's behaviour by causing pain.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/b/2009/...sar-millan.htm

Again, it is important to understand that we are seeing a work of fiction in these programmes, not what actually happened.
[mod edit/see below]
The dog redirected onto her because it was wound up by the proximity of the cat.

It would have happened regardless of the tool use.

Btw I would have worked the dog at a bigger distance and taught it to ignore the cat instead of starting so close.

Adam
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Disgusting! If the dog has a real, genuine problem, why would they have to 'bring it out' in him?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:25 PM
"He gets everywhere."

Yep, like dog hair, shame vacuuming won't work on him also.

Why doesn't that video surprize me, just when I thought I couldn't like him any less.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
....He is a fan of Cesar Milan and he kept doing "TTT" noises to Cherry when she went near his little boy on his lap!
I guess he, like 99% of other people who watch Seizure Milan, have absolutely NO idea what's behind the trademark "Tssst!" either.

It's pretty easy actually.... do it now if your dog's in the room and awake. Get his attention with an Oi! or a Hey! and then narrow your eyes, point your fingers like at him you're a sorcerer about to cast a magic spell, and say "Tsst!"

What happens?
Usually one of two things occur:
a) Dog looks at you with a "Yer what, mate?" yawns, and carries on doing what he was doing before.
b) Dog thinks it's quite funny, gets a silly kick out of the hissing sound, and decides to chase the cat.

You are welcome to add any other responses your dog might have presented, but I bet the one you won't get is:
c) Dog looks at you, stops what it's doing, bows down and says: "I submit to thee oh magical lord & master!" which is what always happens with the mysterious magical esoterical Seizure Milan..... (cue Twilight Zone music).

Ever wondered why?

The clue is really in that it is well documented that with every dog, he takes it away for an hour or so without the owner being present. The reasons given for that are variously described as bonding/one to one/hippy doolally nonsense. That is quite enough time for him to strap on a shock collar in private [sorry - electrical dog curbing device], jab his fingers at it, and every time it sees the fingers coming and hears the "Tsst!! it gets a shock.

That's called pairing something with an aversive and is common strategy with that kind of trainer.

You and I might do something similar but pairing things with a positive - every time the dog does something good or hears our clicker we give it a treat or a praise - but this chap says it with shocks.

So there we have it, when client and dog finally reunited, dog goes to do something naughty and the Magical Seizure just waves his magic wand - sorry - fingers - utters the magic spell of "TSST!" and wowwwwww!!!! the dog stops what it's doing straight away!

Cue camera: wide amazed smiles from owner, "Wow maaan that's just maaagical!" big grin from the chap with the teefs and credits roll again along with the warning Do Not Try This Yourself At Home.

So simple, and so inherently corrupt, and so ruinous for so many dogs worldwide whose lives have been changed for the worse by the thousands who imitate this guy and think they have The Magic too
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I guess he, like 99% of other people who watch Seizure Milan, have absolutely NO idea what's behind the trademark "Tssst!" either.

It's pretty easy actually.... do it now if your dog's in the room and awake. Get his attention with an Oi! or a Hey! and then narrow your eyes, point your fingers like at him you're a sorcerer about to cast a magic spell, and say "Tsst!"

What happens?
Usually one of two things occur:
a) Dog looks at you with a "Yer what, mate?" yawns, and carries on doing what he was doing before.
b) Dog thinks it's quite funny, gets a silly kick out of the hissing sound, and decides to chase the cat.

You are welcome to add any other responses your dog might have presented, but I bet the one you won't get is:
Dog looks at you, stops what it's doing, bows down and says: "I submit to thee oh magical lord & master!" which is what always happens with the mysterious magical esoterical Seizure Milan..... (cue Twilight Zone music).

Ever wondered why?

The clue is really in that it is well documented that with every dog, he takes it away for an hour or so without the owner being present. The reasons given for that are variously described as bonding/one to one/hippy doolally nonsense. That is quite enough time for him to strap on a shock collar in private [sorry - electrical dog curbing device], jab his fingers at it, and every time it sees the fingers coming and hears the "Tsst!! it gets a shock.

That's called pairing something with an aversive and is common strategy with that kind of trainer.... in any training.

But when you and I might do something similar but with a positive - every time the dog does something good or hears our clicker we give it a treat or a praise - this chap says it with shocks.

So there we have it, when client and dog finally reunited, dog goes to do something naughty and the Magical Seizure just waves his magic wand - sorry - fingers - utters the magic spell of "TSST!" and wowwwwww!!!! the dog stops what it's doing straight away!

Cue camera: wide amazed smiles from owner, "Wow maaan that's just maaagical!" big grin from the chap with the teefs and credits roll again along with the warning Do Not Try This Yourself At Home.

So simple, and so inherently corrupt.
I was laughing my socks off at your descriptions and thinking, "yeah", until I read about the electrical bit. Is that what he does?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >