Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
please dont lock him outside,

you need to get to know each other, shutting him outside may well make the whole new start a disaster,
My sentiments exactly, a disaster waiting to happen.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Haven't read all of this thread, but I myself rescued one of my gsd's as a 5yr old and the LAST thing on my mind back then would have been to shut him out of his new home, let alone try and dominate him and be his leader

I wouldn't be surprised if you won't be able to go out into that backyard yourself soon and that's all I've got to say on the subject! I've had 8 of these dogs, the most loyal, loving,affectionate dogs you could ever wish to grace your home, but the thought of distancing myself from any of them would have meant trouble, and I mean big trouble! I will watch out for your next thread then when you can't get out of your back door! You should have got a china dog to stick on the back doorstep imo! Sorry, but I love these dogs and this is no way to treat one that has been thrown out of his old home into this!!!!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Redrum - you write in an intelligent way so.....
are you winding us up?
Only you begin with dominance, then say you`re daughter`s frightened of dogs, then that you`re not going to let the dog in the house. I`m beginning to wonder.........
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2009, 04:01 PM
come on guys............

..............i think we forget sometimes, that this forum being as it is, full of experienced peeps whom know exactly "how to think", that we forget that the average pet dog owner can and does think in the way that redrum has expressed.

not everyone with an 'odd' idea has to be a troll you know.

it is easy to spot a troll, they dont post in the manner redrum has.

the truth is, redrum doens't have the awareness we have, its quite normal for her and many pet owners to think that way, and then they go round giving eahc other all sorts of duff advice.

after all, if vets, with their degrees, can even go round doing the same, why be surprised when others do so??

i was reminded the other day that, as a dog trainer etc, i forget how skilled i actually am.
a dog that in its previous home ran riot all day every day in all and every situition you could imagine, for a few weeks on end.
whereas this dog now lives with me and i have trouble getting him off the sofa! (rottie X as well, BTW)

yet i havent set him a minute by minute training programme to encounter every single behaviour and situation and circumstance for everything that occurred in the last home............as i would do for a client.

i have set some basic stuff in just a few areas, and everyhting else has just slotted into place
he simply just doesn't want to do these things in our company, due to who and what we are.

so we just forget that with some people, dogs will just behave as dogs left to own 'wild' devices, as some people may be 'dog owners', but they aren' 'dog heads'

i think we should give redrum the benefit of the doubt and a break, and let her learn from the posts given, and delete these last few.
the latest few posts arent really necessary and have probably just gone and scared and shamed her away from actually mulling over all the good usuful posts beforehand, meaning, ironically, we will have made it worse for her dog
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
and have probably just gone and scared and shamed her away from actually mulling over all the good usuful posts beforehand, meaning, ironically, we will have made it worse for her dog

OK, point taken,

But still hold be my post on being concerned the poster is the right owner for this dog.

if she is willing to listen and learn, great, but if the intent is to keep the dog outdoors, then its woudl be wise to rethink taking this dog in.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 05:00 PM
OK - point taken. I still don`t think keeping a GSD in a yard is a good idea though. I think maybe the dog would be better rehomed through a good rescue and the family looking at getting an indoor dog the children are happier with if there is no way the dog could be a house dog. I know in many cases dogs in Ireland sleep outside at night, but it seems a bit hard to shut it out in the day as well.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2009, 07:25 PM
i agree with the yard concern, but we dont know redrum meant that yet.

its not so clear what he meant, hopefully he will be back
Redrum
New Member!
Male 

26-10-2009, 06:21 PM
First of this has to be the worst ''ever'' Forum that I've been on to seek advice.

Some of you have given me good advice (thank you's) but as for the rest well you's are worse then kid's.

I did ''NOT'' want Rocky to live outside how sad do you's think I am and yes he was left outside ''all day'' with his old owner's at least I did bring him in door's for the best part of the day and night and I even left the back door open to let him know that he was free to come in and out when ever he want's or for his food or to pooh ect and just to top it off Rocky's original owner's kept him locked up in a pen so who's in the wrong now.

And when Rocky was indoor's at night I lite the fire wich he was happy to fall a sleep in front of until he got to hot so then I bought in his water wich he was happy to see plus he even let me rub his belly his mouth and paw's with no bother,now as for my daughter I found out what her problem was she was just shocked that Rocky was big no big deal that some of you have made it out to be.

Now I shall leave this forum.

Good luck
Redrum

(Ps thank you to the people's who treated me with respect and not like a 12 year old child)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Hi all again.

Right first of again thank you all for the advice it is all much needed .

Now Rocky has arrived today he had no problem coming into his new home done what any other dog would do by sniffing around the house wich I let him do in peace he had no problem seeing my son for the first time today .

Now here's were thing's got a bit more interesting.
I desideed it was time for him to stay outside in the garden and was not happy about it most likely due to the fact his real owener's are gone.He is now crying or should I say whining alot now even going as far as chewing my back door but the problem is if I let him in he may think if I do this all the time I will let him indoor's so I dont want to give him this habit .
I did of course feed him today for the first time and as a treat I gave him boiled chicken mixed with his original food wich he loved and ever since he like's me even more (I think).

Now I did also give him some tablet's that I bought from a petshop to help him stay calm but to be honest I dont think they work .

I would love for him to be indoor's now but if I want to put him out later he will starting whining again or even get worse and this will not be fair on Rocky it may even confuse him (this is only what Im thinking)

Plus I did want to bring him for a walk but a woman across the road told me not to because he will try to run off back to his original home and I do trust her because she also has a GSD.

Now as for my 9 year old Daughter I think I seen what the problem was when she seen him and that was his size and she is now calm so that's one problem sorted .

So if there is anymore advice you nice people's could give I will be greatfull.

Thanks all
Redrum
Clear as day to me anyways!!!! I can only go by what I see in writing and that is what you put in your own post!!!!
Redrum
New Member!
Male 

26-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Clear as day to me anyways!!!! I can only go by what I see in writing and that is what you put in your own post!!!!
Look Im not letting him ''live'' outside the problem is here is that were all confused you's just took me up the wrong way.

And beside's Rocky is not with me anymore because he nipped me hard on my hand and growled because I would not give him a treat and even went as far as pushing me out of the way to get to them I can not have this happening around my children.

And to top thing's of the original owner's were bad with him ,such as not bringing him out for walk's or even letting him in their house.

And to be honest I did not know what I was in for because the owner's lied to us about Rocky and now Im the one that is getting treated like crap because off this.I done no wrong if anything I thought I was doing good by taking on a sick and lonely GSD.

Now we have kept in contact to see how Rocky is doing (not that the original owner did) and she told me that she might have to get him put down so now I have to live with the shame of knowing that I gave a dog back to it's owen home just to be put down.

My friend's are also looking for a home for Rocky such as a farm or the Garda.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >