View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2007, 10:08 AM
The whole thing is laughable and has little to do with cutting polution levels, if it did older vehicles would certainly be included as they probably pollute more than newer more refined engines. For me it makes very little difference, I will continue to drive my vehicle of choice whatever the tw@t does to discourage me, I already pay more in fuel duty anyway due to the fact that I do drive a 'gas guzzler' but my previous saloon car would also have fallen into this bracket, and I had a fair idea when I bought my new vehicle 6 months ago that I would get clobbered at some point in the budget. On the bright side I just renewed my car insurance and swapped insurers and saved over £200 so not everyone hates them.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I don't see why people hate them so much - the owners have paid for them, pay for the upkeep, the petrol etc - same as everyone does, no matter what size the car.
People hate the 4x4 drivers who have a huge big car that drops the kids off at school a mile down the road every day and goes to the supermarket once a week and then sits on the drive the rest of the time.

It's a pointless car.

Now, if you tow a horsebox/trailer/caravan, have to put heavy/awkward loads in a vehicle, have dogs, actually drive off road etc, then a 3 door Ford KA is also pointless.

If you're going to get a car you should think about what you're going to use it for, not just buy a Porsche Cayenne because it looks nice (which it doesn't!)

I drive a hulking great 7 seater LWB Shogun. It's like a truck. I can fit several dogs in the back, tow a horsebox or trailer, drive off road and fit all our camping stuff in the car and drive onto a field.
I can even fit 5 adults in the car with up to 5 dogs!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:13 AM
My new 4x4 only does 10 less mpg than my little Fiesta!!
Plus I can't believe how cheap the insurance was!

Anyway, just off to post pictures of my new gorgeous gas guzzler
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks for that info Iso - how accurate is it? I have read all sorts of different responses all over the place on the net.

My 4x4 has a 2 litre engine but is a 2000 - so does that mean mine will be exempt???
Vehicle Tax page (link)

The higher rate of tax (£300 p.a.) only applies to diesel cars registered on or after 23 March 2006 with a CO2 emission figure of 225 or over.

Quite an interesting read, once you've worked out where your car falls!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:16 AM
it's only the ability to have 4 wheels going round at the same time as two it ain't a big deal at the end of the day...lol
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:21 AM
As far as I can see, my tax will be £205?
If you check your car on Parkers, it tells you your emissions, and your Tax band.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
As far as I can see, my tax will be £205?
If you check your car on Parkers, it tells you your emissions, and your Tax band.
What's your CO2 then?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Vehicle Tax page (link)

The higher rate of tax (£300 p.a.) only applies to diesel cars registered on or after 23 March 2006 with a CO2 emission figure of 225 or over.

Quite an interesting read, once you've worked out where your car falls!
Blimey! It's a bit confusing! So it would seem if you have an older vehicle, the tax remains the same???

How can you work out the CO2 emissions for your own car???
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
What's your CO2 then?
CO2 Emissions - 215 g/km (Honda CRV)
My 1.4 Fiesta was - 158 g/km
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Use the Parkers website to check emissions etc

Yes, my car is 11 years old, so my tax is £180 (£5 rise on last year) which is fine by me.

The "new" VED rates only really apply to cars registered after 2001 anyway - they have done for a few years now.

What Brown has done is absolutely nothing really....
Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »