Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:18 AM

4x4,s

I was just wondering what everyones thoughts are on Gordon brown wanting to up the road tax on 4x4,s.

I think it is way over the top what harm is it doing if you drive one.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Does any one know if it includes people carriers we've just bought a kia sedona to transport the dogs. OH already moaning about sellling it
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Does any one know if it includes people carriers we've just bought a kia sedona to transport the dogs. OH already moaning about sellling it
Im not really sure but yes i think they did come into it
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2007, 06:06 AM
I'm still trying to work out how my tiny Daewoo Lanos, a 1.6l car, pays the same tax as a Porche Carerra, a 4 litre Jag and a 4.2l Range Rover?
If I am paying tax at the highest rate, I may as well go and *buy* a Jag...'cept, of course, I couldn't afford one!
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 08:21 AM
i dont think it would be fair if they only uped it on 4x4's,large engines 'polute' all the same,

but,i dont thiink the high tax bracket is fair neway,wot about people that need to drive a 4x4,we live in the country up a huge dirt track.....

the goverment only car about the extra cash,have they not considered the amount of familys that will now just drive 2 smaller vehicles
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 09:23 AM
I am soooo mad! Does this mean my small SWB 4x4 is going to cost me as much to tax as some multi-millionaire in his top spec Range Rover?!!! Grrrr!
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am soooo mad! Does this mean my small SWB 4x4 is going to cost me as much to tax as some multi-millionaire in his top spec Range Rover?!!! Grrrr!
i no,its ridiculous
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
its engine size not seat size............most 4X4 's have bigger engines
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 09:41 AM
The new VED increase covers cars which pollute more. This includes some 4x4's, people carriers and sports cars.

The banding is very similar to before and only covers cars registered after March 2001.

So, my 11 year old 7-seater Shogun still costs me the same, as its so old.

A newer Shogun would probably be in a higher bracket and so your tax would increase.

The problem is that the majority of people who have new flashy 4x4's (Porche Cayenne, Range Rover Sport) can afford higher car tax, whereas generally the people with large people carriers have them for much more practical reasons, and can't really afford up to £400 a year.

Larger cars/larger engines do pollute more than smaller cars, its a fact. But until the public transport system is sorted out and greener cars become more available, people will keep driving whatever it is they drive.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 09:46 AM
I think gordon brown should **** off.

Yeah we have a 4X4 and it isn't all bad like they make out...It is much bigger with the space we need and one good point is that we do less trips to acheive the same thing we sometimes would need to make twice as many (plus) trips in a small car. Bigger engine less trips - so what?

Maybe if you live in a city all you need is a little roller skate car to get around in but I like our 4X4 thank you very much

He is irritating.

On our road trip the other week I didn't even see many 4X4's all I saw was damn great HGV's and far too many of them.
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »