Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 11:03 AM

Fact or Fiction ?

Hello

just wondering Can dogs see their reflections ? Might be a daft question, but I always thought that they couldnt really ( old wives tale maybe)

The reason I ask is that we have a glass door in our kitchen and when I am in the kitchen Bruno stands beside the door ( when its open against the wall) and stares at himself in it -although I am not sure he realises its him. he also does the same thing in my bedroom mirror - he cocks his head and turns it this way and that - its very cute but not sure if he actually realises that its himself he is looking at ?

any ideas?
apologies if its a dumb question LOL
dani
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Danny poses in front of the mirror all the time so he must be able to see something - whether he's knows who it is or not I daren't say
I reckon Bruno and Danny don't think it's them because they know that whoever is looking at them surely can't be as handsome as they know they are
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Definitely! Loki watches himself all the time in mirrors and reflections (vain devil! ) and even watches me in them. When he was a pup he used to try to 'get' his reflection.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Definitely! Loki watches himself all the time in mirrors and reflections (vain devil! ) and even watches me in them. When he was a pup he used to try to 'get' his reflection.

i think thats why I was confused because bruno isnt dog friendly i thought that when he caught himself in mirrors he would try to "get" himself but he doesnt - so maybe he does know its himself then !!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes dogs can see reflections though they would not of course recognise that which they see as being themselves. Also I understand they can see moving object better than those which are stationary,I guess this is to do with predatory hunting instincts.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Also I understand they can see moving object better than those which are stationary,I guess this is to do with predatory hunting instincts.
this woudl make sense as to why Bruno cant see a cat standing stock still right in front of him but will try to chase a squirrel up a tree on the other side of the park !!!LOL
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 11:59 AM
When Bodhi was smaller, she caught her reflection in a window, and had a good old stare and sniff..

And... cheeky me... I have also gestured to her (silently), while she has been looking at me in the mirror. She often watches me in the mirror. She ran up to the mirror to find me, to be confronted with another puppy (her), she just tried sniffing and jumping up at it... Meany Anna...

So, yes, they can see themselves, but no, they don't see themselves (just movement, or another dog).

Chimps and Gorillas are the only other species that will recognise themselves apparently. If you place a dot on their face, and allow them to look in the mirror, they will try and take the dot off their face. Where as other species of monkey will not recognise themselves and try to take the dot off the supposed 'mirror monkey'
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I thought it was just vampires that cant see them!!!

China will watch me in the mirror and will look at herself, she does notice when i put my hand behind her head she will turn around to look at my "real " hand....to me it seems like she knows its her...
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 12:06 PM
very interesting bohdi thanks for sharing that, how bizarre that different species of monkey react differently.

indie barks at her reflection in the mirror all the time, i dont think she realises its her.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Cassie used to bark at her reflection in the cooker and also in the fire but seems to have gotten out of the habit now !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >