Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 11:54 AM

One for the girls: Period pains

Now ever since I started I have always had horrendous period pains, to the point where I have been known to pass out and/or be sick mainly the first 3 days. I had an implant fitted back in May/June, and all was ok up until now- 6 days in I am still in agony again (today was the closest coming to passing out)
  • Hot showers only help while I am in.
  • Hot water bottles only help for the first 5 minutes.
  • Pain Killers wise I now have the strongest pain killers from over the counter and often have to take more than it says on he packet due help ease the pains. Both doctors haven't said it this a concern. I can't really take anything strong long term because of my kidneys which are already working over time!
  • Sleep helped as pains were worse in the morning up untill this month, now it doesn't help at all.

Anyone else suffer with bad period pains? Anything else that takes the edge off the pains!?!!?!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I get same, but only for the first day. There is no 'routine' to that first day either -- either it is painful but just about mangable with painkillers or absolutely unbearable and I can't get out of bed all day.

I don't do anything other than what you do already. Luckily for me only the first day is a problem -- after that I am completely pain free. So, I don't want to go on the pill to avoid one single day a month. I've been on it before and gained weight and felt bloated all the time.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 12:08 PM
i did (im now on the depo provera to stop me getting periods and the fact that i suffer badly from pmt)

i found mefanamic (sp) acid helped a bit, those sticky on heat patches (does the job of a hot water bottle but for hours and you can still go out) actually also found they were worse when i wasn't doing anything, so keeping busy (walking etc..)helped as you were then not focussing on the pain.

i will admit though that i haven't ever come close to passing out, but i have been to the point of tears, feeling sick, getting migranes because of it and actually being sick.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2011, 01:20 PM
DEPO is brilliant. I have been on it for years. Not had a period since the 1st jab. No side effects at all. Got one due on Thursday.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
DEPO is brilliant. I have been on it for years. Not had a period since the 1st jab. No side effects at all. Got one due on Thursday.
What is this jab?
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 03:30 PM
I am also very bad to the point of being unable to move/being sick etc.

The doctor perscribed mefamaic acid but I had a bad reaction, it caused my red blood cells to explode and the fragments passed through my kidneys causing worse pain than that which I started with

Normal painkillers do not help, I think next time Im free Im gonna go back and see if theres anything else they can do.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
I am also very bad to the point of being unable to move/being sick etc.

The doctor perscribed mefamaic acid but I had a bad reaction, it caused my red blood cells to explode and the fragments passed through my kidneys causing worse pain that I started with

Normal painkillers do not help, I think next time time Im free Im gonna go back and see if theres anything else they can do.
I used mefanamic acid on prescription and it worked a treat allowing me to be as normal , sorry you had a reaction to it but is worth a try , it really worked wonders for me
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
I used mefanamic acid on prescription and it worked a treat allowing me to be as normal , sorry you had a reaction to it but is worth a try , it really worked wonders for me
Crazy isnt it, I was so hopeful too. I have never reacted to anything in my life
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2011, 03:58 PM
depo provera. Contraceptive. The lack of periods and period related ailments is a side effect.

It's a jab in the bum every 12 weeks.

You can put weight on but, I never did. (Till I stopped smoking that is.)
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
depo provera. Contraceptive. The lack of periods and period related ailments is a side effect.

It's a jab in the bum every 12 weeks.

You can put weight on but, I never did. (Till I stopped smoking that is.)
Yeah, weight gain is a really common side effect of it. Really messed my friends periods up when she came off it too, she had a 6 month long period, a 2 week break, another few months on, a couple of weeks off, more months on. Took her about 3 years to get back to normal. I dunno anyone else who's come off it but her experience means no way I'm getting it!

I only started with period pains after going on the pill, before it I got a little back ache the first day and that was it. I'm on Cerazette now which stops them completely, not something I'm happy about to be honest but until I lose weight they won't switch me back to what I was on. I still get the freaking pain too! Sore boobs, back ache and terrible cramps but no actual period.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >