Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wainiyo
New Member!
Male 

27-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Allergy to dogs hair?

I guess this has been discussed at length, but it is a new problem to me, when i play with my broken coated lurcher, after a while it feels like i got feathers in my throat. to stop playing with my dogs is not an option. So please help
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Have you tried petalcleanse?

http://www.allergybestbuys.co.uk/ebu...n-90101m.shtml
wainiyo
New Member!
Male 

27-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Yea thanks for that, will try it
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Is there another human in the house who can give the dogs a good brush every day, outside away from you preferably, to get rid of the loose hair?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Loratidine helps
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 09:15 AM
My friend who lives with multiple dogs is allergic to dogs. She rotates anti-histamines and takes them every day. This has worked for years and all is well.
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
My friend who lives with multiple dogs is allergic to dogs. She rotates anti-histamines and takes them every day. This has worked for years and all is well.

Did she only discover the allergy after she had the dogs? I can't imagine spending my life on anti-histamines when there are so many breeds of dog out there that she probably wouldn't react to.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I am alergic to all animal hair I think but am ok now because the floors are tiled and therefore the hairs are at a minimum. So thoroughly cleaning will help - for me any way.

Also alergies is when the body can take no more pollutants. For example I only started getting hayfever when I started drinking. So it might help if you stopped dairy products and wheat. They think that alergies is caused by the immune system attacking polen etc, which it should ignore, because the immune system is so under worked. They are giving sufferers a pig parasite to see if it reduces alergies! Apparently alergies are rare in Africa.
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post

Also alergies is when the body can take no more pollutants. For example I only started getting hayfever when I started drinking. So it might help if you stopped dairy products and wheat. They think that alergies is caused by the immune system attacking polen etc, which it should ignore, because the immune system is so under worked. They are giving sufferers a pig parasite to see if it reduces alergies! Apparently alergies are rare in Africa.

I'm sorry, but this is completely wrong and not at all how allergies work. If you are allergic to dogs then giving up wheat or anything else apart from dogs will have no effect.

Allergies are an autoimmune condition, they are 'rare' in all populations where they are not understood, recognised or treated. Peanut allergies were rare before we understood anaphylaxis and knew to treat it with adrenaline as people just died on the first attack!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
Did she only discover the allergy after she had the dogs? I can't imagine spending my life on anti-histamines when there are so many breeds of dog out there that she probably wouldn't react to.
I have no idea actually, but I don't think she's stupid enough to get a very hairy breed knowing she was allergic to the hair, so I suspect she didn't. But she adores her dogs, they are life and rightly so, so if taking anti-histamines for a prolonged use of time in order to live with her beloved dogs, then so be it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >