View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Ahh this thread has given me a sigh of relief lol! I don't want children and I don't like to admit it but I also worry about being old and alone! I don't say 'never' cos who knows, but I don't think its for me. Its weird as lately I have felt different, like I could come round to the idea lol, but i'm sure its just a phase! I just want to get married and have puppies!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Sometimes other people try and put the guilt trip on you. Someone at a church we used to go to said we were unbiblical for not wanting any as we weren't obeying the mandate to "be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1 verse twenty-eight)I replied that we weren't in the garden of Eden now and the earth was over-populated! Don't think that went down very well!

I also think that is I were an only child perhaps the parents may have been pushy for grand-children? Fortunately I am the youngest of 3 and my older Brother and Sister have 5 children between them.

I have NEVER wantd children and did not get married till I was 34, the optimum age for child-bearing being 28-34 apparently.

I went through a "funny stage" when I was 42 (the age my Mum was when she had me) and really wanted a child but sadly we lost the baby at 10 weeks.

From this experience I can say that you may feel differently if you have never wanted children and then get pregnant-hormones and emotions can make you feel like you would never imagine!

So yes-I would not have wanted children in general and am very happy with my husband and having quality time together without children getting in the way so to speak but I would have loved the one I lost.

I do think you could have a stronger marriage without children as a lot of couples I know of who have got children split up and is this because they do not have so much time together once children arrive? Just a thought.
My best friend's marriage hit the rocks when her little girl came along as her husband began an affair which she didn't find out about until her little girl was 3.

My niece was like me and didn't want children but then got pregnant accidentally and then decided to have another child once she had Abra. She said if she had not got pregnant accidentally she would have remained childless.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 04:35 PM
At this moment in time I have zero desire for them, and can't see myself having that desire in the future to be honest. But equally I have the view of never saying never -- you have no idea how your life might pan out in 5, 10, 15 years time.
Tiny Paws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Even though I have two children from a previous marriage, but husband and I wanted one together. But after 5 years of trying and age now not being on our side, I have tried to turn off the urge, and got my pup Albie instead! Now I think to myself when I get down, "I wouldn't be able to take the dogs out like this with a baby" or "at least my dogs shut up when I tell them"!!! It does make me feel a bit better!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
I decided in my teens (I'm 34 now) that I didn't want children, and for years I was told "You'll change your mind when you're older." One person even told me I was selfish for not providing my parents with grandchildren!
Wow, are you my twin sister or something? I'm 34 and decided when I was still only a child myself that I didnt want to have any kids. I got the comments constantly through my teens "you'll change your mind when you're older", exactly as quoted above! I've never changed my mind, I simply just dont like children, I dont have the patience for them and i've never been in a position in my life where I thought it would be a good time to have a child (financially, emotionally or in the right relationship).

Like a couple of others have said, I do think my later years will be quite a sad affair. I wonder who be there for me when old age starts to take it's toll and who will visit my grave when I am dead?

However, those are purely selfish reasons and not reasons alone to bring a life into this world.
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2011, 05:54 PM
hmmm im mixed on this one, as much as i adore my nephew, its exhausting looking after him for even just a few hours.

i wonder about bringing kids into this world, im struggling with my conscience on that one, so many people have so little, i wonder about the future of the UK, the ecomomy, jobs all of that.

Im not married, (not that i judge folk who have kids and aren't, i just don't want that for myself) im 32 now, the OH doesn't seem to be of the engagement/marrying mind. The decision might well be taken from me.

My mum was 39 when she had me!
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
Not quite on topic but here's my thinking!

I love my boys, I really do, but I think if I hadn't had them, I wouldn't have regretted it. If I had my time over again (with an old head on young shoulders) I would live my life very differently and I doubt if it would include children!
I feel the same. I had my first girl when I was 19 (41 yrs ago ) & the second girl 40 yrs ago next year. I was pregnant with the first one when I got married - you were expected to get married then Although I love both of them I didnt have any real maternal feelings. If I had my time again I dont think I would have had any. I was VERY Naive at the time. My sister has never had any & doesnt regret it for a minute.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Dolce View Post
hmmm im mixed on this one, as much as i adore my nephew, its exhausting looking after him for even just a few hours.

i wonder about bringing kids into this world, im struggling with my conscience on that one, so many people have so little, i wonder about the future of the UK, the ecomomy, jobs all of that.

Im not married, (not that i judge folk who have kids and aren't, i just don't want that for myself) im 32 now, the OH doesn't seem to be of the engagement/marrying mind. The decision might well be taken from me.

My mum was 39 when she had me!
Totally agree, I also feel like this. Too many people already, not enough resources.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3