View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 07:22 PM
At the same time you can argue - if people have something wrong with a bit of their bodies would you expect it treating?

Not in my case - I just find it blooming difficult to get (and stay) pregnant - but there's no actual explanation for my difficulties - hormones normal, plumbing normal, husbands swim team as useless as the average bloke's... but in the case of people with blocked tubes or similar - they've got a problem with a bit of their body - treat it.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
At the same time you can argue - if people have something wrong with a bit of their bodies would you expect it treating?

Not in my case - I just find it blooming difficult to get (and stay) pregnant - but there's no actual explanation for my difficulties - hormones normal, plumbing normal, husbands swim team as useless as the average bloke's... but in the case of people with blocked tubes or similar - they've got a problem with a bit of their body - treat it.
Dizzi in an ideal world yes I would agree but sadly the world is not ideal I for example am obese (clinicallly) not through any life choices as far as I am aware and my doc confirms this I would love to be slimmer but thats the hand I was dealt I will continue to be active and eat healthily but somewhere there is something amiss - would I honestly like it treated Hell yes would I want it treated at the expense of someones life who could use my treatment money to save their life...absolutely not. Yes one day my size may cause difficulties that need treatment and would I expect them ...no would I want them yes but expect nope no way priorities have to be made and my gastric band or similar is not IMO feasible under NHS when people are dying of all terminal illness, not just cancer, and with more funding such conditions could be treated,
I really hope this post doesn't offend you as it really isn't meabnt to offend at all
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to start such an emotive thread. I was only intending to share a bit of news in the medical world, maybe giving hope to those who are going through ivf.
I thought there might be a little bit of for and against, but not like this. I'm sorry for anyone who's been upset by this thread.
Sufficed to say I won't be commenting more as I don't want upset anyone further. I am currently going through fertility issues myself (not ivf) and so it's far too close to home for me to comment on right now.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
And my 'gift' has been taken away from me....so because I've already had to fight for my life, I shouldn't be allowed a chance to bring another life into this world, and care for it?
I never said it was right and IMO you should qualify, no doubt. I was just explaining what is happening and not what I personally think.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Anyone who is infertile deserves every chance they can get to become pregnant, be it as a result of plumbing, disease or just randomness.

It's certainly alot more justifiable than say a 24 year old wanting a hysterectomy because she hates kids. I mean that would be a shocking waste of taxpayers money.
Sorry to paly devils advocate here but why would that be a shocking waste?
Surely if someone has their mind made up whatever their age then that is not a waste of money. If the person is sure regardless of age then so be it a reversal has to be done privately, yet it prevents an unwanted pregnancy and all the medical care that goes with that and the delivery and then if the child is unwanted the social services intervention and the cost of the upkeep of fostering/adoption/possible psychological treatment for child as a child or young adult... hysterectomy seems cheapest option to me under those circumstances. And if said person chnages their minds well so be it they have to pay that to me is fair but of course that is just MHO
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to start such an emotive thread. I was only intending to share a bit of news in the medical world, maybe giving hope to those who are going through ivf.
I thought there might be a little bit of for and against, but not like this. I'm sorry for anyone who's been upset by this thread.
Sufficed to say I won't be commenting more as I don't want upset anyone further. I am currently going through fertility issues myself (not ivf) and so it's far too close to home for me to comment on right now.
Yes, I think this is a good idea and I will follow your lead.

There are some who will just never get it. I feel sorry for this level of close mindedness.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I typed something but actually - I'm not going to bother because it's the same arguments that go round in circles.

You cannot ever understand the pain of fertility problems until you've been there - it's absolutely left me in shreds over the years and it's a miracle I'm still here to be honest - I came incredibly close to suicide last year over it all.

For what it's worth - I'm not entitled to ANYTHING from the NHS - so don't throw that in my face either - our PCT is one of the worst in terms of what they entitle the lucky few to.

The adoption argument's also incredibly insulting tbh - I looked into it - first line on the adoption info site "locally if you're not black or mixed race your chances are slim."

If you're lucky enough to have working innards - go away, reproduce at will, rejoice in your gift and how it makes you special compared to others... heck throw in some bashing childless women as well as worthless if you want (the best I got called was an evolutionary dead end - don't think I'll be introducing myself as that at dinner parties somehow) - but the pain if you're stuck with that burning urge to have children and a body that won't cooperate is utterly utterly hideous, mentally gruelling and you get blooming sick of the sex over the years as well.
Sorry if any of my comments have hurt your feelings, I certainly didnt mean for my posts to effect anyone personally

I have been in the position of being told that I wouldnt be able to have children naturally, so I have given this alot of thought. I have also had two very close friends who have been through 3 cycles of IVF each and held them and cried with them when it was unsuccessful.

It is a very emotive subject and something I wouldnt wish on anyone.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Sorry to paly devils advocate here but why would that be a shocking waste?
Surely if someone has their mind made up whatever their age then that is not a waste of money. If the person is sure regardless of age then so be it a reversal has to be done privately, yet it prevents an unwanted pregnancy and all the medical care that goes with that and the delivery and then if the child is unwanted the social services intervention and the cost of the upkeep of fostering/adoption/possible psychological treatment for child as a child or young adult... hysterectomy seems cheapest option to me under those circumstances. And if said person chnages their minds well so be it they have to pay that to me is fair but of course that is just MHO
I agree, Lynne.

I would rather that than what you mave mentioned above.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
My first thought regarding things like this is how much it will cost the NHS. Probably yet more money that the system cannot afford.

We are already over-populated as it is, there are hundreds of children needing good homes, we don't have an infinite amount of resources and we should really be trying to protect the lives we have, rather than produce yet more people.

Also, when people are being denied things such as possible live saving cancer treatment on the NHS (they may have never smoked etc in their lives either) I really do wonder if IVF should be provided on the NHS at all.

Yes, I feel sorry for people who cannot have children who want them, but that's just the way it is. We can't all have everything we want in life and we just have to deal with it.

Sorry if that sounds insensitive, but when people like my grandfather cannot get certain treatments for cancer to try and save his life - a man who has faught for our country worked and paid his taxes all his life - then you have to draw the line somewhere.
I have to say I do agree with this. Not being able to have children must be heartbreaking, but there are some things that just aren't meant to be. Using much needed NHS money on IVF just isn't justifiable IMO. My best friend can't have children. They considered IVF but knowing there were so many children out there without a home they went down the adoption route and now have 3 lovely young children. I've never seen a happier family!

Planet Earth is already severely over populated, the vast majority of the problems in the world are down to the fact that there are already too many of us. Before people start thinking of bringing more than 2 children (the replacement of the parents and therefore not increasing world population) into the world I always wonder if they've thought about what world they'd be bringing them into because at the current rate the human population is going there won't be a world left to populate.

IVF is not something that can be afforded or is really needed on the NHS right now when you consider the over population side of things.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I have to say I do agree with this. Not being able to have children must be heartbreaking, but there are some things that just aren't meant to be.

Using much needed NHS money on IVF just isn't justifiable IMO. My best friend can't have children. They considered IVF but knowing there were so many children out there without a home they went down the adoption route and now have 3 lovely young children. I've never seen a happier family!

Planet Earth is already severely over populated, the vast majority of the problems in the world are down to the fact that there are already too many of us. Before people start thinking of bringing more than 2 children (the replacement of the parents and therefore not increasing world population) into the world I always wonder if they've thought about what world they'd be bringing them into because at the current rate the human population is going there won't be a world left to populate.

IVF is not something that can be afforded or is really needed on the NHS right now when you consider the over population side of things.
I know several people that have successfully undergone IVF treatment and have gone on to have that much longed for child. Try telling them it just was not meant to be!

I think spending tens of thousands on psychiatric treatment followed by complicated treatment and surgery to give somebody a sex change and then later reversing the procedure because that patient made a mistake and is not happy still is a waste of NHS money and is what is really not meant to be.

As for adopting. I have friends that have recently adopted two children. The procedure was a long and painful one and this couple jumped through hoops backwards and spent a fortune of their own money on things social services insisted on that most parents with their own children would not be able to afford. It is incredibly hard to adopt and perhaps if it was not quite so hard more people would adopt and there would be less children in care. They have had the kids for over a year now and social services are still telling them how to live their lives.

As for being overpopulated, I was under the impression we were overpopulated with older people and not enough younger people to care for the elderly in the coming years. So many women are choosing not to have a family they need to encourage women of child bearing age to have kids.

Anyway there is very little money spent by the NHS on fertility treatment and I was not eligible because my husband has kids. The people that I know that have had fertility treatment have all financed it themselves, me included.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >