Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Wedding Gifts

When you got married did you buy your husband/wife a wedding gift?

OH and I get married in 18 days and we've agreed to buy gifts but I just can't decide what to buy.

We had originally said we weren't going to bother but we're going to be on honeymoon over Xmas so we said we'd do a wedding gift instead of a xmas present.

I had originally planned to buy him a nice watch as he loves watches and i've saved £300 for whatever I choose to buy him. I've seen a watch I know he'd like but now i'm not sure about the watch as he already has about 4 and some of them he hardly wears!!

My other idea was this:

as he is sport mad and then i was going to get it engraved with "Mr and Mrs Willis" and the date of our wedding.

I like the idea of this more as it will last forever and could potentially be something we had down through the generations but i'm just a bit worried he'll look at it and think "why they hell have you bought me a bog roll holder!!".

So now i'm lost for what to do and am therefore looking for thoughts/ideas/guidance!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:27 PM
I considered that I WAS the present when we got married.

I am afraid I think the toilet roll holder is totally naff, and would not consider buying it for anyone, I certainly would be less than thrilled to receive it.......... sorry.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I considered that I WAS the present when we got married.

I am afraid I think the toilet roll holder is totally naff, and would not consider buying it for anyone, I certainly would be less than thrilled to receive it.......... sorry.
Fair enough! Honesty is the best policy!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I like the idea of this more as it will last forever and could potentially be something we had down through the generations but i'm just a bit worried he'll look at it and think "why they hell have you bought me a bog roll holder!!".
The sentiment there sounds fab but I think a loo roll holder isn't quite the item to do it with You could mix the ideas and have a watch engraved with the date perhaps? Something with a timeless (no pun intended!) style that could be passed down the males in the family?
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:44 PM
I like the loo roll holder ! it will always be there in your home , serve a practical purpose and remind him of the day you married , get the date engraved too and then he has no excuse about remembering your aniversary !
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:46 PM
i actually love the loo holder and I think its what the receiver will think of it rather than anyone else. We didn't buy each other anything, I was his gift and I am sure he is still regretting asking for it !! LOL

Why not just put the money towards something amazing to do on your honeymoon or something instead - something you will never forget ??

We bought a beautiful painting on our honeymoon of the area we stayed painted by a local artist we met and that means far more than anything he could have bought for me. It has a story to it
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
The sentiment there sounds fab but I think a loo roll holder isn't quite the item to do it with You could mix the ideas and have a watch engraved with the date perhaps? Something with a timeless (no pun intended!) style that could be passed down the males in the family?
He already has a watch that he wants to pass down through his family as he has one that was designed for his squadron at work and has his service number and rank on it!

Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
I like the loo roll holder ! it will always be there in your home , serve a practical purpose and remind him of the day you married , get the date engraved too and then he has no excuse about remembering your aniversary !
That's what i thought! He shouldn't have any excuse for forgetting the date though as we are getting married on the same date that we met and then we also got engaged on the same date.

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i actually love the loo holder and I think its what the receiver will think of it rather than anyone else. We didn't buy each other anything, I was his gift and I am sure he is still regretting asking for it !! LOL

Why not just put the money towards something amazing to do on your honeymoon or something instead - something you will never forget ??

We bought a beautiful painting on our honeymoon of the area we stayed painted by a local artist we met and that means far more than anything he could have bought for me. It has a story to it
I think Rich will love it - there are so many things in our house that have my influence or are about things that I love so thing it would be nice for him to have some bits and pieces like that too.

I do like the idea of buying something on honeymoon though - we always buy a memento of some description everytime we go abroad or on a UK holiday. However i'm not sure there will be much in the way of souvenirs in the Maldives?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
He already has a watch that he wants to pass down through his family as he has one that was designed for his squadron at work and has his service number and rank on it!

That's what i thought! He shouldn't have any excuse for forgetting the date though as we are getting married on the same date that we met and then we also got engaged on the same date.

I think Rich will love it - there are so many things in our house that have my influence or are about things that I love so thing it would be nice for him to have some bits and pieces like that too.

I do like the idea of buying something on honeymoon though - we always buy a memento of some description everytime we go abroad or on a UK holiday. However i'm not sure there will be much in the way of souvenirs in the Maldives?
no probably not, are there any amazing trips you could maybe do though whilst there - which island are you staying on??
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 10:07 PM
I bought my hubby a tie pin and cufflinks set to wear on our wedding day
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
no probably not, are there any amazing trips you could maybe do though whilst there - which island are you staying on??
We're staying on Kuredu island which is one of the larger islands. I literally cannot wait to go there!!

Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
I bought my hubby a tie pin and cufflinks set to wear on our wedding day
He's got the cufflinks - him and the groom party have got little helicopters for their cufflinks as my OH is an avionics engineer in the Navy and two of his ushers do the same job!

He doesn't have a tie pin though so will look into that! I'm also getting him a pair of socks to wear on the day that say "Incase you get cold feet"!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >