Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BullseyesTail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Doggy Daycare? Why?

I passed an ad the other day for a new 'Doggy Daycare' opening up in our nearest city.

Got me to thinking - why get a dog if you're then going to have to put it in daycare all day? Are these just fashion accessory dogs?

I had to seriously talk my niece out of getting a dog when she was planning to move out of her parents' house, and have a flat and a fulltime job to pay for the flat. She seriously wanted to get a dog - even though she'd be out all day. I managed to persuade her it wouldn't be fair. So what meesage does this send out?

My other thought re. daycare centre was...if they're starting up during a recession - blimey, there must be a big market for this..?

What do yous all think?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Daycare, like baby sitting, is sometimes required.

EG

Some people do not like putting their dogs in kennels all day and will put them in day care during the day.

Some people need it on a temporary basis eg they are ill, a loved one is hospitalised, they are at a meeting all day etc etc so although they are pleased to have them during the evening, they would prefer daycare to kennels.

Some people, like me, use it for short period of time, eg I had a puppy and she went to a creche for 6 months because of work commitments.

Just as there many types of families, there are many types of dog owners, and ownership styles.

As long as dogs are happy and content, variety is a wonderful thing!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:24 AM
I think it`s an excellent idea for people who are usually out all day.
Remember our lives change frequently. It may be that you or I are forced into a position where we have to leave the dogs for longer than we`d like. So I`m all for it, provided it`s well regulated.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
A friend of ours recently had a relationship break down and is in full time employment.

Options - get rid of the dog or find somewhere like this?

We have one locally who has a lot of dogs who belong to people who work at the hospital. People love their dogs, this offers a great opportunity for them to give them a better life.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think it`s an excellent idea for people who are usually out all day.
Remember our lives change frequently. It may be that you or I are forced into a position where we have to leave the dogs for longer than we`d like. So I`m all for it, provided it`s well regulated.
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
A friend of ours recently had a relationship break down and is in full time employment.

Options - get rid of the dog or find somewhere like this?

We have one locally who has a lot of dogs who belong to people who work at the hospital. People love their dogs, this offers a great opportunity for them to give them a better life.
Absolutely I don't think dog ownership should be 'just' for people who are at home all day, what a silly notion

However as it is not fair on a dog to be left at home all day so doggy daycare is a wonderful way for working people to still share their lives with a dog whilst still giving the dog a wonderful active life.

What is the problem with that?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Wish we had something like that when we had to go to a funeral so much nicer than having to take the dogs 200 miles and then leave them in the car while the service took place then 200 miles back. Also would enable me to get a day job and stop doing silly o'clock jobs just so someone can be with them all the time.

Gosh just imagine 9am-5pm and not getting up for 4am shift and having evenings at home with my family .... would be wonderful.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:00 PM
I am out all day and have three dogs no datcare required
ATD x
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:15 PM
as Smokeybear said, there is a whole host of reasons as to why daycare would be needed. How many of us have children and know that at some point we are going to need childcare!?
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
why not???

Daycare is a great alternative to leaving the dogs in a home all day or even just having a dog walker in once a day, not everyone is fortunate enough to have someone who will look after there dogs while they work, and not everyone has the luxury to stay at home all day with there dogs.

im very fortunate in that if for whatever reason both me and my partner need to work full time , my mum will look after my dogs for me during the day at her house.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 02:32 PM
My dog'd love the odd day at day care. Beat milling around the office anyway.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >