Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Prager Hans View Post
All right . But then I am done here.
Thanks Hans. I think we appreciate you coming down from Prager Heaven to educate us poor souls below.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2011, 10:20 PM
All right . But then I am done here.

This is a very common situation. Handler/owner of the dog/pup walks on the street. Dog/Pup see another dog/ person or such and starts to bark. Owner applies positive reinforcement and starts "calming" the pup/dog down by petting him and with soothing voice is saying something like this:" Do not bark on a doggie ,.. he is a good doggie, don't bark on him.It's OK ......" This is being said usually together with soothing petting of the offending dog.
Now understand that positive reinforcement adds on the behavior and negative subtracts. Thus the dog reads your soothing as encouragement. What is worse, is that this miscommunication escalates to the point where dogs will be aggressive at the source of his aggression further and further away. Also the owner when he/she encounters such situation is going to be worry more and more. Thus dog then hinks that the owner is afraid of the other dog or person or such and this then leads to further escalation of serious aggression.
This a very common case of use of positive reinforcement used improperly. Thus when we train a dog we must brake down everything to the lowest common denominator and that is often not easy.
Prager Hans
You suggest one example of a situation where positives 'might' cause aggression in a dog----that doesn't in any way mean that it is 'the most common cause of unwanted aggression in dogs'.
Equally likely to cause aggression is mistimed punishment which makes the dog link the approaching dog with pain and therefore decide to be aggressive in return!

You are talking rubbish really.

rune
Prager Hans
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You suggest one example of a situation where positives 'might' cause aggression in a dog----that doesn't in any way mean that it is 'the most common cause of unwanted aggression in dogs'.
Equally likely to cause aggression is mistimed punishment which makes the dog link the approaching dog with pain and therefore decide to be aggressive in return!

rune
Some
will learn and some will think it is rubbish.
That is how the cookie crumbles.
I have got a lot of positive PMs, but thay all were afraid to post here. I know why now.
Take care. Hans
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
well.... yeah. But it`s given people an opportunity to air the compassionate and intelligent modern training methods to all those reading who may not have come across them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 07:24 AM
double post
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 07:25 AM
So - how I would deal with dog / dog or dog / human aggression without force.

Work on basic training and lead work.
Teach the watch me and behind sit.
Take dog out. (See, preparation is all)
At a distance from the `threat` - before yours starts to react - ask for attention, sit and then reward.
If you`ve got too close and the dog is beginning to react, turn and walk away, ask for attention and sit and reward the calm.
Repeat. Often.
As the dog becomes habituated to this strategy you can decrease the distance.

The dog has learned a way of coping that supercedes his previous `kick off and it goes away` method. He has also learned to defer to the handler, and is begining to trust the handler NOT to make the situation worse by shouting, , tightening the lead or hurting the dog.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Never mind, Wys - I am following your posts with interest and learning from them.
If someone uses the AP trick of only answering an isolated point because he or she can`t answer the rest, remember that the rest of us are reading and nodding.
Aw bless, cheers ClaireandDaisy!

I think the point of the study does stand anyway

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 08:07 AM
NO they used positive and negative reinfocement. They did not use just negative.
That is crazy talk.
Prager Hans
No, as I said the emphasis was on punishment. Read Koehler and the dog is set up for failure, not success. The idea of punishing the dog was more important in those methods than setting up for success (I'm not saying positive methods such as verbal praise were not used - simply that the emphasis was on harsh methods. It's all there in the books. Often it comes from the military style of dog training. Certainly with Most, his method was not good at training any dogs but middle of the road - more nervous dogs could not cope, and more aggressive ones were likely to be bopped on the head....).

Anyway, this is really a very minor point and not the main part of the study, which clearly tells us that reward based methods are better for pet dog owners

Wys
x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Some
will learn and some will think it is rubbish.
That is how the cookie crumbles.
I have got a lot of positive PMs, but thay all were afraid to post here. I know why now.
Take care. Hans
Perhaps because their arguements for punishment are as spurious as yours.

rune
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
It is possible to train by only choosing to apply positive reward
it means you have to think about things from a dogs perspective tho
I am learning all the time but as a challange to myself I am trying to train 100% positive reward
it is possible to use negative punishment kindly as well and I am in no way against that
Good post Ben
(plus all the other bits in red that don't come out it the quote).

Wys
x
Page 17 of 26 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »