Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2013, 06:10 AM

The beauty of feral cats

These are special critters.
In the last house, one used to come for food but would not let me within 20 yards of him. He would sit looking at me happily as long as I kept that distance.

Ginger with that scrunched up face ferals seem to develop.

One day the dogs treed him and I got closer to him; no ambition here to tame them. They are free and fine and to feed is my joy .

He was beautiful! Wild and wary face, huge eyes, and thankfully now well covered. Alert and alive in his tree, safe. Developed to suit their way of life; evolved, canny, eating with their eyes everywhere but on their food

So many here; one came into my bathroom at one house to die. I kept her apart and safe, fed her water and glucose and she died with a smile on her face.

Not all as amenable; had to relocate one here as he was so territorial and aggressive and was spraying inside the house.

I have to be careful feeding as I cannot put kibble out as my wee girl cat is prone to cystitis and cannot have kibble and the big boy will eat almost anything.

But that is fine too and we work on, indoor cats and outdoor cats; all are welcome here as long as they mind their manners!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-07-2013, 07:15 AM
I love my cats. 'Admiration' is perhaps a better word.

Sorry to hear about your 'bathroom' cat.

I've only 2 cats now - Paddy is a very fit elderly chap and Casper is just a youngster.

Both are free to come and go.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I am sorry Rosebud but I cannot agree with you about feral cats. Here they will, and have, destroyed window louvres and insect screens to get into homes. One even somehow managed to get under a small gap in my corrugated steel lean-to "garage" where I keep my road scooter, to have her kittens on its padded seat.

They are classed as vermin here, especially as rabies is endemic here and the feral cats can, and do, pass it on.

However, before I am jumped on for having said that, Late Lamented Kattypuss was a tiny four-week old feral kitten that I rescued from some children who had "found" her, managed to raise her to a beautiful friendly indoors/outdoors cat, had her "done" with regular vaccinations and worming - including the all-important rabies shots - and she moved with me from my first bungalow on the Moshav to the second, putting up with Little One when I adopted her.

The average lifespan of a feral cat here is less than two years. Kat had over four happy years with me until she did her usual daytime wandering [she always came in at night] until she was the victim of an RTA on the main road at the end of the fields from that home.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 01:59 AM
This is Jac, as a tiny kitten he was found riddled with ringworm and was what is known as, in feral cat circles as a "hissy spitty" kitten - meaning he hissed and spat at people around him and did his best to escape and lash out. He was so bad with ringworm that most of his hair fell out. His general health was not good as can be the case with some feral kittens. He spent a long time in rescue with his Foster mum and eventually we were privileged to be allowed to adopt and bring him home. He is an absolute delight, he is loving and kind and very gentle, you could not wish for a more delightful and loving pet cat.

cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Jac is gorgeous When we moved into this house the one next door was derelict but did have a very old battle scarred tabby tom living in it.

We called him Old Deuteronomy and fed him for 2 years we could never touch him but could have conversations with him at mealtimes. One day he vanished and we assume he had died some place. At least he had a well fed last few years
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I am sorry Rosebud but I cannot agree with you about feral cats. Here they will, and have, destroyed window louvres and insect screens to get into homes. One even somehow managed to get under a small gap in my corrugated steel lean-to "garage" where I keep my road scooter, to have her kittens on its padded seat.

They are classed as vermin here, especially as rabies is endemic here and the feral cats can, and do, pass it on.

However, before I am jumped on for having said that, Late Lamented Kattypuss was a tiny four-week old feral kitten that I rescued from some children who had "found" her, managed to raise her to a beautiful friendly indoors/outdoors cat, had her "done" with regular vaccinations and worming - including the all-important rabies shots - and she moved with me from my first bungalow on the Moshav to the second, putting up with Little One when I adopted her.

The average lifespan of a feral cat here is less than two years. Kat had over four happy years with me until she did her usual daytime wandering [she always came in at night] until she was the victim of an RTA on the main road at the end of the fields from that home.

Malka'; city and rural are very different and I think you are missing my point also..and no rabies here.

it is the adaptation ands sheer guts and will to survive that I admire greatly as I do the work of so many re TNR. greatly.
Lovely stories, everyone;
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Malka'; city and rural are very different and I think you are missing my point also..and no rabies here.
I do not live in a city.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Jac is gorgeous When we moved into this house the one next door was derelict but did have a very old battle scarred tabby tom living in it.

We called him Old Deuteronomy and fed him for 2 years we could never touch him but could have conversations with him at mealtimes. One day he vanished and we assume he had died some place. At least he had a well fed last few years
Wonderful; they are so appreciative. Retaining their ferality
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:24 AM
actually I do not want only once have my neighbours cats (not freal ones) even just Close to me / home / garden etc

as I already got a big Problem with fleas of them
and my dog reacted very allergic
got Skin probs and her coat got affected of that badly as well

so you wont believe, that I ever will pull any farel cats Close to my home by feeding them?

sure they are nice critters, as Long as they stay away, like Martens for example
or aint they nice critters as well?
but nevertheless they might will damage your car by cutting cables or whatever

I like rats and mice too, but just not Close to my home!

and no one is just bad, if they do not like everything around their area

as well I can accept, that not everyone like Dogs
so I will try not to confront them with mine

I call that consideration of everyone owns Feeling about
and not just to condemn them, because they are thinking differently about my own Feelings and opinion about
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Wonderful; they are so appreciative. Retaining their ferality
The cat was introduced into this country (and other countries) and as such is a domesticated animal (not a wild animal who has to fend for itself). Therefore, the cat, as a domesticated species, should not be allowed to become a feral creature. It is irresponsible and many feral cats suffer great hardship trying to get by in the wild. Once again, it is human beings who are responsible and IMO there should be no populations of feral cats - A feral cat is a neglected cat, whether it is a cat which was born as a feral kitten, or an animal which has been rendered homeless by thoughtless owners.

There is not much that is beautiful about feral cats. It is impressive how they manage to survive like they do, but IMO no cat should have to live a feral life and it is an indictment on us as human beings that they have to live like they do.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >