Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Jeremy Vine R2: PETA v Sheepdogs

Just wondered if anyone else was listening to this discussion?

For anyone not listening, some tesco bod was unhappy at the way sheep were rounded up by the sheepdog on their way into be slaughter (a farm in New Zealand), apparently they were very aggressive (the dogs not the sheep). Have to say that must be a first for Tesco to be concerned about animal welfare.

The bloke from PETA said sheep should be rounded up by people with flags . That really made me giggle, what planet are these people on? He said dogs caused too much stress to sheep and it's unfair on dogs to make them surpress their natural instinct which is to kill the sheep so they are very stressed too.

The farmer guy put him in his place fairly well.

The sight of a dog rounding up sheep in a field is one that I love to see, it's amazing what they do.

Anyone else listening?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:35 PM
They should make him watch this:

KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Heard the trailer but i won't listen to any arguments that are on the Jeremy Vine show involving dogs as the man is blatantly anti-dog himself and the show always portrays the dogs and their owners to be in the wrong.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I didn't hear the discussion but it sounds ridiculous - thats what sheep dogs are for ! what numpties !
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:45 PM
But seeing the dogs that were used as 'sheepdogs' by this new zealand farm were lurchers and cross breeds it does make me wonder whether the dogs were in this situation scaring the sheep into pens etc rather than sheepdogs that herd them in.
But i didnt listen to the discussion.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 01:44 PM
What a shame I missed it!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
The sight of a dog rounding up sheep in a field is one that I love to see, it's amazing what they do.
For you JanieM

JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Thank you Moobli, you've really put a smile on my face!!!!!!

Those are fantastic pics. It's seriously one of the nicest sights to see when I go on my hols and is so nostalgic.

I found this article posted on another site.http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/a...ess-flock.html

It will be so sad if they have to put down happy healthy dogs just to satisfy Tesco's.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Just saw this on the BBC webpage, but can't listen to the discussion ...

"Tesco has told its major supplier of lamb in New Zealand to stop using sheepdogs, as they cause stress to the sheep".

Shouldn't Tesco be a bit more concerned about sourcing it's supply of lamb from the UK!!! Bl**dy ridiculous!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't know why they didn't have a tesco bod on the radio programme instead of the stupid PETA person, it could have set them straight about a few things.

The image of people beating the ground and using sticks is just laughable surely.....wouldn't that cause way more stress than a dog?

Just wanted to say again, great pics Moobli....I keep going back to look at them!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >