Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I think if I was in the situation I would PM the people who I trust to help and not judge. Everyone will have problems with thier dogs at some point - whether it was a past dog they learnt from or a present one.

When you are a new owner it is very easy to try and listen to everyone - there is SO much conflicting advice not just on Dogsey but in 'real' life. It is far too easy to try and do everything and get confused.

Good luck with Woody
EXCELLENT post!! Very good point. Consider yourself on my PM list, if that's ok?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Oh, well maybe frightened is abit too strong, cautious is perhaps more appropriate. My bad.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I think if I was in the situation I would PM the people who I trust to help and not judge. Everyone will have problems with thier dogs at some point - whether it was a past dog they learnt from or a present one.

When you are a new owner it is very easy to try and listen to everyone - there is SO much conflicting advice not just on Dogsey but in 'real' life. It is far too easy to try and do everything and get confused.

Good luck with Woody
I think Tassle makes a good point...

I think it's abit like txting people, sometimes they come over as being sharp, or unsympathetic, which they aren't but they are said as people are thinking.

I remember getting into a ''tiff'' with Borderdawn over whale hunting, and to be honest (and i'm sure she'll agree we got heated) but I think Border Dawn is actually a great person,and has a passion that was equal to mine, I look at it like this if you all came round to mine I am sure it would be a heated debate.....but I'd still give you bickies and a cuppa.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
EXCELLENT post!! Very good point. Consider yourself on my PM list, if that's ok?
Anytime dear
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I think Tassle makes a good point...

I think it's abit like txting people, sometimes they come over as being sharp, or unsympathetic, which they aren't but they are said as people are thinking.

I remember getting into a ''tiff'' with Borderdawn over whale hunting, and to be honest (and i'm sure she'll agree we got heated) but I think Border Dawn is actually a great person,and has a passion that was equal to mine, I look at it like this if you all came round to mine I am sure it would be a heated debate.....but I'd still give you bickies and a cuppa.:lol:
I'm on my way!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Blimey, we don't need to be so dramatic about it, lifitng the negative from our shoulders etc.
All I'm saying is that in spite of the excellent advice I have been given and the great friends I have on here there is a thought in the back of my mind, following a few posters that has made me cautious about posting anything to do with my dog's behaviour as I keep getting these ridiculous comments. That isn't criticising the nice ones, that's explaining how the bad ones have made me feel and others on here from what I've heard.
Oh, well maybe frightened is abit too strong, cautious is perhaps more appropriate. My bad.

Cautious or frightened!!.

The point of the posts where in trying to offer you an olive branch where you felt a little more comfortable to post.

Seems you are not willing to take it.

Shame

P.S there is also to much of the "Bad V Good , going on here too.

There are members ........FULL STOP!

Lets get way from the Judgmental attitude of who is what!!

Everyone has something to contribute
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I just wondered where people feel their responsibility for what they write online ends. Do you just call a spade a spade and it doesn't matter how people take it? Or do you think about what you are writing and how it may affect readers?

I'm not judging anyone, I'm genuinely interested. And I would like to ask others not to judge people on this thread also. Just tell me what you think, if you'd like to
I think this thread has got a little lost - this was what I asked originally. I didn't want this to turn into a witchhunt or into 'Good vs Bad people'.

All I wondered was, do you think about the effect of what you write has on other people? Not what you think of other people's posting style.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Not being rude but i think thats a very biased point of view - i would have thought you would be more neutral considering you are a moderator.
I agree, totally.Also Sarah you might feel the original question has been lost, but in answering it these other related issues came up, and maybe they needed to be aired.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I think this thread has got a little lost - this was what I asked originally. ..
All I wondered was, do you think about the effect of what you write has on other people?
The same as the effect on me of what they write. It`s a 2-way process.
I think people who use forums need to understand very early on that any post can be ignored, that anyone can be a troll, that any advice given should be considered fully before acted on and that the guy who says he`s the best dog trainer in the world could well be a malicious 10-year old with an extensive vocabulary or a lifer in Pentonville.
Ultimately we are all strangers. That is where the analogy with the client/counsellor relationship falls down.
We are not counsellors. We are passers-by. Yes, some of us have become friends, but this takes time - and usually a few misunderstandings along the way.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The same as the effect on me of what they write. It`s a 2-way process.
I think people who use forums need to understand very early on that any post can be ignored, that anyone can be a troll, that any advice given should be considered fully before acted on and that the guy who says he`s the best dog trainer in the world could well be a malicious 10-year old with an extensive vocabulary or a lifer in Pentonville.
Ultimately we are all strangers. That is where the analogy with the client/counsellor relationship falls down.
We are not counsellors. We are passers-by. Yes, some of us have become friends, but this takes time - and usually a few misunderstandings along the way.
Well said.
Page 13 of 32 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »