Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Opening fireplace

Hi all,
We have decided to open up the fire place in the front room,We have a chimney going to buy a nice surround and marble hearth and back and leave it open.We both love a solid fuel fire in the winter and love watch the logs especially at christmas.
We don't really need to use it as we have full central heating,so it will be more or less for show.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Thats a great idea ! I have an open fire in my front room-tho I seldom use it as I also have central heating- but it does become the focal point of the room and makes it feel more cosy
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2006, 03:31 PM
I am just having mine taken out I am replacing it with one of those panaramic viewing ones (the ones that look like a tv) cause i have CH and want to make the room square, easier for putting furniture in
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-08-2006, 04:25 PM
I opened up the chimney a few years ago in my house and I put in a cast iron fire surround with tiles and in the winter it is lovely. I buy coal and logs and on a really cold frosty day or a horrid rainy day you can't beat it.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Snorri mansions, being a small, traditional Orkney smallholding, has a wide stone fireplace. For economy and efficiency, it has a cast-iron stove set in it. This stove also powers the CH and heats the domestic hot water supply (occasionally, it boils!). The stove will burn just about anything, but mainly, we fire it with coal. It's great for disposing of a lot of waste (we kindle it with - e.g. - empty dog biscuit packets, dead wine boxes, rolled-up packing cases and the like. I have even cremated the occasional dead mouse there, too ). I think the stove contributes greatly to the look of the place, helping to keep it looking "cottagey", despite the proliferation of modern machinery (microwave, computers, CD players and the like).

The dogs seem to appreciate it, too.........

Snorri
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I can't live without my roaring coal fire in the winter, plus central heating on full bore too It makes the room a lot cosier having a fire, and in fact, I feel colder when I don't light it up, so it must throw out a lot of heat too, I don't think it's just for show You'll enjoy yours this winter, ahhhhh roll on winter, I love winter!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2006, 05:48 PM
I love a roaring fire in the winter I have fully gas central heating though.

It'll look lovely Sal x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-08-2006, 06:04 PM
I too burn all old boxes, junk mail, unwanted mail on the fire, never needed a shredder, just burn it. Like everyone says miles cosier in the winter.
Snorri, you could use that piccie on your personlised Christmas cards!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf
I too burn all old boxes, junk mail, unwanted mail on the fire, never needed a shredder, just burn it. Like everyone says miles cosier in the winter.
Snorri, you could use that piccie on your personlised Christmas cards!
Yes I agree Snorri, that would make a brilliant Christmas card!!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2006, 06:12 PM
You know i'm really looking forward to it,love the pic Snorri,looks very cosy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >