Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Home search help!

I had a call from my landlord yesterday saying I have to move out when my contract is up on 3rd September so I need to find a new place to live.

Currently living between Derby and Nottingham in a two bed semi detached house with secure garden.
My problems are I am unemployed (so I'm claiming housing benefits, which private landlords don't seem to like), I have 2 dogs, a cat and 4 rabbits and as of June my HB is being reduced to around £66 per week. I am searching for a job but haven't had any success yet.

I have registered with the local housing association and have to wait for them to assess my "need" and write to me before I can bid on properties.

Other than that and private landlords where can I search for cheap animal friendly properties? I will have a good reference from my landlord, it isn't anything to do with me why my tenancy is ending. I don't mind living in a small house but need the outside space.

Any/all help welcome!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Come to Scotland, I have a three bedroom house with large gardens currently up for sale/rent, pets welcome

Sometimes, if you offer a larger deposit it gets round the no pets problem?

Sorry can't be of more help
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Only a thought and I have no idea, but would your local authority have a list of private landlords that are prepared to let to HB clients????
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Do you have anyone who could act as a guarantor for you? I'm moving in a few days into a private rented house that was advertised as no hb. However, as I am only part time at the moment (so will have to claim), they were happy for me to have a guarantor. They are also happy for me to take two dogs and two cats! I know this is hard to find though.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Come to Scotland, I have a three bedroom house with large gardens currently up for sale/rent, pets welcome

That's teasing!!!
Sounds amazing but a little out of my area!
I will be getting £400 deposit back from this place and could add more so that isn't a problem.

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Only a thought and I have no idea, but would your local authority have a list of private landlords that are prepared to let to HB clients????
I will go and ask tomorrow, good idea

Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Do you have anyone who could act as a guarantor for you? I'm moving in a few days into a private rented house that was advertised as no hb. However, as I am only part time at the moment (so will have to claim), they were happy for me to have a guarantor. They are also happy for me to take two dogs and two cats! I know this is hard to find though.
Possibility, my parents might be able to do that, might be worth asking even if it says no HB then.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post

You can't steal Katie! How rude of you to try!

Sorry Katie - will have a nosey around though, I know a few people from work have been looking for places - see if they know of anywhere.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 05:25 PM
No idea bbut best of luck.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 11:16 PM
I agree about the guarantor thing It is the only way my OH & I can even get a viewing for properties because we're under 25, despite both of us being in work.

I would call around a few estate agents and explain your situation, that you could offer a higher deposit and have a guarantor. Make sure that you really stress the fact that you have a good reference!

Also, it might be worth looking on the internet at property websites as occasionally places will pop up that say they will accept HB either with or without a guarantor Gumtree is usually a good website to check for that sort of thing too!

ETA: If you can, try going into letting agents in person. It's much harder to blow you off if you're there in person
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Do you have a local gumtree? I found my place through gumtree as it's mostly private lets and not agencies who will only accept tenants who are in work. I am self employed so don't have wage slips to hand over.

A couple of years ago when I was searching for a place and was in receipt of housing benefit, if the add stated no dhss and no pets I would reply to it anyway. I found that if I wrote a good email or phoned them, I'm quite well spoken then they had nothing against me being on benefits or having a dog. A lot of them state no dhss hoping to avoid getting scummy people in their properties although we all know that not all dhss recipients are scummy and there are people in jobs who are
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Can't offer any practical help, but good luck in your search. It's rather worrying for you xx