Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 12:31 PM

Castration Question

How will other dogs that they live with react to them after castration...does that make sense?
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2005, 12:50 PM
I've had probably 6 dogs castrated (fosters), only 2 of my own that were intact at first...the other dogs didn't treat them any differently or react in any specific way. Just another day for them.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Mand
are the others castrated or not?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 01:06 PM
I can honestly say neither the dogs who were castrated or the others living with them ever reacted any differently. Although very occasionally strange male dogs will try to mount a neutered male.
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
Mand
are the others castrated or not?
Yes Lel...all are apart from Tetley, who is going in on tuesday
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Dont think there should be a problem then ?
I asked incase some werent and there may have been dominance issues with un neutered dogs ?
Good luck
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 04:26 PM
I think I read somewhere that occasionally an entire dog will get confused if he meets a castrated dog, and try to mount it? (Not sure how true this is so correct me if I'm wrong). I think as the others are castrated anyway that shouldn't be much of a problem...
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 11:09 PM
when max was entire he would of mounted anything lol. none of my friends dogs have acted any different to max since his op
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2005, 07:13 AM
If there are no dominance issues existing already then all should be well

Sometimes castration may cause the problem of 'feminization'. That is, the castrated male will give off scent indicators similar to an in-season bitch. This will cause other, usually intact, males to attempt to sniff/mount/mate. I believe this is not a very common consequence of castration, but I am open to correction
Gill W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Sometimes castration may cause the problem of 'feminization'. That is, the castrated male will give off scent indicators similar to an in-season bitch. This will cause other, usually intact, males to attempt to sniff/mount/mate. I believe this is not a very common consequence of castration, but I am open to correction

I have been told by a few vets that it isn't that common but does happen more than people think. Unfortunately, this is what has happened to one of my cockers and his life is miserable now because of it. A lot of people seem to think its funny that hes being pestered to death by other dogs(about 8 times out of 10 they will attempt to mount him) but his whole personality has changed and we are now having a few behavioural problems - mainly aggression to other dogs which is totally out of character for him. After our experience, I will never castrate routinely again.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >