Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Kpnv

I have just been reading SB's description in another thread about Belgian Ring - very interesting.

How does KNPV compare to Schutzhund and Belgian Ring?

Are dogs bred to compete at KNPV harder, more extreme and/or higher drive than those bred for Schutzhund etc etc?

I *think* I have seen a KNPV video (a long time ago) where the dog was trained to protect property as well as the handler etc - and what sticks in my mind was a Malinois left in a down stay by a bicycle the handler had left stationary. A "criminal" came to steal the bike and the Mali attacked. Is that KNPV style training?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 05:52 PM
sounds more like Mondioring to me where they have to guard the object.

TBH it is a few years ago when I went to watch the KNPV championships in Holland and I am trying to remember the schedule of events.

The dogs bred for Mondioring and KNPV tend to be of a different type than those bred for Schutzhund as they do not have to use their nose in tracking.

They do have a scent discrimination exercise in Mondio and a search square in KNPV though.

I will see if I can dig out my catalogue later.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I've got to ask what that stands for?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I have no idea............
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 08:29 PM
It stands for (after a quick Google!!) ...

Koninklijke Nederlandse Politiehond Vereniging (Royal Dutch Police Dog Association, Holland)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
sounds more like Mondioring to me where they have to guard the object.

TBH it is a few years ago when I went to watch the KNPV championships in Holland and I am trying to remember the schedule of events.

The dogs bred for Mondioring and KNPV tend to be of a different type than those bred for Schutzhund as they do not have to use their nose in tracking.

They do have a scent discrimination exercise in Mondio and a search square in KNPV though.

I will see if I can dig out my catalogue later.
Thanks Smokey - you could well be right. I will have to look further into both Mondioring and KNPV.

When you say dogs bred for these sports are a different type to those bred for Schutzhund, what do you mean specifically?
defence100
New Member!
Female 

21-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Dogs trained in KNPV or ringsport tend to be harder with more drive than those for schutzhund. Also, the layout for shcutzhund stay the same whilst in ringsport the 'themes' are always different e.g. different objects to guard and set up of the arena, in my opinion a lot more fun to watch than schutzhund. You may find this article useful http://ezinearticles.com/?What-is-th...gs?&id=3992099
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have just been reading SB's description in another thread about Belgian Ring - very interesting.

How does KNPV compare to Schutzhund and Belgian Ring?

Are dogs bred to compete at KNPV harder, more extreme and/or higher drive than those bred for Schutzhund etc etc?

I *think* I have seen a KNPV video (a long time ago) where the dog was trained to protect property as well as the handler etc - and what sticks in my mind was a Malinois left in a down stay by a bicycle the handler had left stationary. A "criminal" came to steal the bike and the Mali attacked. Is that KNPV style training?
A warning , I am not saying all KNPV trainers / handlers train this way, but the training methods used to control a high drive KNPV dog is not of the type for this forum, and glad to say this country.
defence100
New Member!
Female 

24-08-2011, 08:53 PM
The staying in a down position to protect property is 'guard the article'. KNPV is a certification process that all dutch police dogs are required to pass. Most dogs on the continent are trained to a higher standard than those in the UK, although it is accepted we do have some good dogs, the training is a lot more different on the continent.