Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:01 PM

Terrible morning...

I was sitting this morning with my morning cup of tea when I got a call from my dad. He had just left for work, and heading to the bus stop saw a GSD running around the main road. The dog ran down a side road the goes behind my house, so I threw clothes on as fast as I could, over my jammies and went in search of the dog. It only took about 5 minutes to find her, but she was terrified. She ran back towards the road, and somehow managed to cross it safely even with all the rush hour traffic

She ran into the golf course two minutes from my house… I spent an hour and a half following her trying to catch her. I took it slowly though, kept my distance and crouched down not looking at her, trying to gain her trust. I tried to coax her with biscuits but she wasn’t interested. Eventually, in the middle of the golf course with people playing golf all around us, she lay down. I sat down a wee bit away from her and just waited… she started to slowly approach so I tossed a biscuit to her which she ate eagerly. She then got so close and happily took them out my hand. I managed to get a collar and lead on her (I took Jakes spare ones with me). She was also limping a bit, so i was worried a car may have clipped her but it went away a bit so maybe just tiredness.

I took her back to my house, and she walked perfectly on the lead. I figured she had been missing a while coz she was really underweight, and that going by her teeth she must be quite old. Me and my mum gave her a fuss, and some food (which she ate like she hadn’t seen food in ages!) and water. We then let Jake out to meet her, he loved her! I called the dog warden, who said that a GSD had been reported missing this morning and was called Tara. I called her using Tara, and she responded. So, I was all happy thinking about her going home (although, I had already started falling for her ).

When the dog warden arrived, she wasn’t happy… she said that given she had only been missing since last night, she shouldn’t be the weight she is. You can see all her ribs, and her waist is so small. She was reluctant to take her back, but said she had to… not only did the weight worry her, but also that when the owners called this morning, the dog warden asked if she would be able to get hold of them and then said they would be staying in all day… and not looking for their dog! Then, when she called to say she thinks Tara had been found, they were out shopping their dog was missing, and they were shopping! it turns out that she had travelled about 3 or 4 miles during the night.

Its great they called to report her missing, but I guess that was just so someone else could do the work she isn’t chipped, and she didn’t have a collar on… She is such a sweet natured dog, and was following me around the house, she doesn’t deserve owners who don’t even give a s*** about her… not even enough to look for her. I wouldn’t stop looking if that was Jake. I searched more for Tara, than her owners did

So, i went from desperation trying to catch her, to happiness when i did, to more happiness when i found out her owners had reported her missing, to sadness that they dont care enough to look for her...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Hmmm not having a dog chipped is not a crime.
The collar could have been lost.
Has the dog warden checked with the owners and/or vet why dog is thin, it could be a) very old or b) have an underlying condition which keeps it skinny?
Could the owners have eg a bed bound relative etc that REQUIRED them to go to shops etc?

I think BEFORE jumping to conclusions it is always WISE to ascertain the facts, don't you?
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Sorry, SB, when you have all the evidence lined up together, it looks as if they dont look after her proplerly... Poor dog.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Sorry, SB, when you have all the evidence lined up together, it looks as if they dont look after her proplerly... Poor dog.
no, its being judgmental without the facts..unless you know the owners and have spoken to them yourself its fiction!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Er, WHAT evidence?

You are obviously not a policeman, a lawyer or an accident investigator.......................!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hmmm not having a dog chipped is not a crime.
The collar could have been lost.
Has the dog warden checked with the owners and/or vet why dog is thin, it could be a) very old or b) have an underlying condition which keeps it skinny?
Could the owners have eg a bed bound relative etc that REQUIRED them to go to shops etc?

I think BEFORE jumping to conclusions it is always WISE to ascertain the facts, don't you?
How did i know you would comment something like that

No, it isnt a crime to not get a dog chipped, but IMO it is the responsible thing to do. Yes, the collar could be lost, which is why a chip can be so important.

The dog isnt 'very' old, she is still fit and was able to run (even with a limp) and when given food she practically inhaled it.

I think the chance they have a bed bound relative is slim, but even so, if they do have a bed bound relative i am sure they could put off the shopping for a bit to search for their dog...

I will make whatever judgements i like, considering i saw the dog and i was the one out spending ages trying to catch her while her owners were blooming shopping!

Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
I think with everything together, it comes to that as well. Maybe one thing could just be passed off but not all of that together.

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
no, its being judgmental without the facts..unless you know the owners and have spoken to them yourself its fiction!
I saw the dog, and the dog warden spoke to the owners. Also, all those things together seem like too much to me.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:38 PM
being chipped didnt help Kaos!... waste of money in his case

when my kaos had been located i had to work 3 hours till i could go and get him..no job no food or home for the dogs!..so im a bad owner eh?

he wont go to strangers so is he beaten,mistreated?

just i feel its unfair to judge people you do not know and a dog you do not know.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Well the only exercise some people get is jumping to conclusions

I cannot see what inhaling food has got to do with the price of fish?

My dogs are very well fed, they INHALE food, and of course the dog may have a metabolic disease which prevents it making good use of food WHATEVER it is fed and in WHATEVER quantity.

A thin dog can mean a LOT of things.

Hopefully you are never put in a similar position.............
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:46 PM
I seem to recall lozzibear is extremely young (21) therefore does not have the knowledge or experience to call upon before making judgements..................and when you are young, everything is either black or white.........
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
being chipped didnt help Kaos!... waste of money in his case

when my kaos had been located i had to work 3 hours till i could go and get him..no job no food or home for the dogs!..so im a bad owner eh?

he wont go to strangers so is he beaten,mistreated?

just i feel its unfair to judge people you do not know and a dog you do not know.
First, i brought this dog home... so she was able to be checked for a chip i thought Kaos wasnt checked for a chip coz he wasnt caught... same could be said for a collar, a dog should have a tag on but what use is a tag if you cant get close enough to see it?

Erm, where did i say she must have been beaten/mistreated coz she wouldnt come to a stranger?? i dont remember saying that, coz i certainly dont think it. Jake loves people, but in a situation like that i dont think he would want to go to people... she was scared, she was alone in an area she didnt know... most dogs would be scared, so i wouldnt assume she had been beaten coz of that. What did i say that made you say that??

Work is different, i even said to my mum that some people cant afford to not go to work... but this was shopping. I am sorry but shopping can wait!

People on here are always judgemental... people post about dogs being left tied outside a shop, and how wrong that is... but not looking for your dog who is missing is ok... ok, need time to get my head around that one.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »