Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
slave2Myka
New Member!
Female 

22-06-2007, 06:54 PM

What to feed a skinny husky?

Hi, looking for some advice. I have a 3 year old husky who has always been trouble with food. She seems to go off things so quickly when we find a food she will eat. Only lasts a couple of months then we are back to her eating nothing.

Just looking for suggestions... She is currently eating wet food with dry biscuits. She wont eat dry on their own at all.

She is 17kg and a little small for a female... any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Its been 3 days now.......

Thank you
Angie
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2007, 07:54 PM
have you tried A/D hills canned food?

it is very fattening and she would only have to eat small portions to have enough energy.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

22-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Minced Tripe is good for putting weight on. Also breast of Lamb.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Yep, minced raw tripe. Even fussy feeders can't resist it. Never failed in my experience.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Huskies and most northern breeds are known to stop eating for a few days at a time. Any longer than a week though and I would seek veterinary advice.

Dogs are scavengers and will eat pretty much anything. A fussy dog is usually the result of an owner who worries when they stop eating, and then changes their food. Try not to change the food each time the dog stops eating, as I said Huskies can go a few days without eating and are perfectly fine.

Also some dogs just never put on weight for no reason. One of my dogs is 35k, has nothing medically wrong with him and eats 2 St Bernard sized meals a day and still looks like a toast rack ! He is fine, health wise, but just never puts on weight and he is 3 years old.

As long as your Husky is drinking enough, is alert, the stools are ok and he is emptying his bladder, don't worry. Just wait for him to start eating again, but try not to pander to his fussy eating habits. If he refuses his food, take it away and feed as normal the following day. Keep doing this until he eats as normal, it could be a hierarchial/leadership issue !

Has he been checked for any Pancreatic or Digestion Insufficiencies/deficiencies or zinc deficiency ?

Hope this helps
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2007, 10:16 PM
tuna is good and smelly and non of mine can resist,it you could try that,or as been suggested tripe,but i would feed that raw unless you want to move out for a week,it humms as its cooking x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Hi slave2Myka welcome to Dogsey. How many meals are you feeding? Two small meals are better than one large meal if you are trying to add weight and it is best to leave the food down for twenty minutes only then to remove any uneaten food and don't feed again until the next meal is due. Also put the food down with a minimum of fuss and walk away, don't stand watching the dog, if you are anxious about eating her eating it may make the situation worse.

Sardines in oil are liked by most dogs, they can be added to a meal and will help to put weight on, also porridge (oatmeal) with an egg and some honey for breakfast.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Green tripe is excellent for putting on weight. You can buy it frozen in chunks or minced from some pet stores. Don't buy the white stuff from the butcher/supermarket though. It's bleached and has the goodness all washed out of it.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I have a skinny dog,

I agree with malady that you shouldn't change her food - it'll just make her more fussy.

I feed cooked pasta and the baby biscuits - what are they called, anyone?

I also tend to feed twice a day, after walks. She doesn't go for a walk at all (apart form to wee) after her evening meal so that she can sleep on it and she is crated after her morning meal to let it settle (she's excitable and I'm worried about gastric tortion!) and isn't taken out again until 2pm.

Excellent ideas on here though, might have to try a few (not sure about stinky tripe though! )
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2007, 01:58 PM
If you google for satn balls you should be able to get a recipe for them these are excellent for putting weight on dogs, also I know from experience one of my males was extremely fussy eater, I changed him to a raw diet and never looked back, but I did include brewers yeast tablets advised by my vet, these help increase appitite and assist in the obsorbsion of nutrients from the food eaten. there is also a cream that you can get that is sort of meaty tasting if I remeber its called vitalite or something like that, this cream/paste you can give to the dog in something like a slice of ham or such and this also helps increase appitite.

Mo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >