Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2012, 10:48 AM

Potential second dog...advice needed!

My friend at work has to rehome her puppy. She is about 6 months and a yorkie cross. She gets on with Pippa - my dog when we have been on walks together. Pippa is 8 months. I am offering to take Ruby on a trial period as i don't know what it will be like having a second dog. What should i consider with taking on another dog? I am aware of the financial aspects, and having to spend time training each one separately. But i also imagine there is stuff i haven't thought of. Also, how should we go about introducing the other dog to get the best result?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 11:14 AM
second dogs can be brilliant, but if I was in your position, I would think twice about this for two main reasons:

(1) getting a 2nd dog is much easier when you've already got one trained as the 2nd dog learns so much from the first. Pippa hasn't even reached her 'kevin' stage (teenage tantrums/pushing boundaries etc).
I'm afraid I don't know whether you've had dogs previously, but if Pippa is your first, I'd definitely wait until she was over that stage as coping with one can be bad enough.

(just had a quick scan and by some of your other threads, it would seem that Pippa is your first dog - I would definitely not take on another at this stage in your position).

(2) both are bitches - they will be of similar age and presumably will be of a similar size? If so, this could be a recipe for disaster. Whilst they may get on really well all their lives, the closeness in age and size would really worry me as once bitches fall out, they tend to do so big time. The age/size thing is relevant as there will be no natural 'top dog'. Of course some dogs live happily without either needing to be boss, but it is a risk.

Its all very well saying you will take her on trial, but problems are more likely to occur in 6 months -12 months time rather than over the next few weeks.

I'm not saying never have a 2nd dog, but if I was in your position just now, I wouldn't take on this other puppy.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks for that, definitely giving us pause for thought. I have also just read somewhere that terrier bitches are a particularly bad idea together...would other people's experiences support this? Im wondering now about just offering to have her temporarily whilst we find her a good home.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 01:03 PM
my dad has 3 yorkie bitches and one of them is the mum of the others she is now getting quite old and the 2 younger girls are kicking of big time trying to decide whos the boss. I have to say i was extreamly shocked at the level of violence from such tini dogs, the fighting is horrible to watch and has resulted in many vet trips and injurys to me my dad and step mum from trying to split them up. The fights start over silly things, whos sitting on somebodys knee, who gets the lead on first, who is going to peep through the hole in fence to bark at stuff and sometimes just walking past each other. the vet has recommended having them spayed and claims it will all calm down then but im not holding out much hope. This has all happened after about 5 years living happily together

Poor spikey the only male keeps himself well out of the way of the nasty bitches. I have to say it does put me of 2 bitches ever
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I've only ever had bitches and always two or three at a time .... usually different breeds all more or less the same age and a mixture of small and large.

I think its the way you bring them up because I've never had any problems!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
I've only ever had bitches and always two or three at a time .... usually different breeds all more or less the same age and a mixture of small and large.

I think its the way you bring them up because I've never had any problems!
the way you treat them can make some difference, but I think there are very many owners out there who have had years of no problems then, despite raising the dogs in the same way as all the others, they are unfortunate enough to get two bitches that just don't get on. I'm not by any means saying that it will always happen, but when it does, the results can be devastating.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-11-2012, 09:47 AM
I would personally wait until your dog is about 4 years old and starting to mature a little rather than having 2 dogs around the same age. I think training will be more successful this way.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2012, 10:00 AM
I really appreciate everyone's replies. They have flagged up things i didn't know, which is why I posted. The dog needs to go somewhere urgently so i think i will take her on a temporary basis - whilst they're both young hopefully this won't cause any real damage to my pup - whilst we find a permanent home for her.
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Crisis averted! She found someone else to take her.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2012, 09:24 PM
That is great news