Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fluffy-one
New Member!
Female 

31-12-2012, 04:55 PM

Confused over what food to give large dog

Hi,

I hope someone can advise. I may be taking on a large rescue dog (GS cross with husky) and I want to get him the right food for obvious reasons, but don't know what to do. I know someone who feeds only raw meat from the butcher at £20 a week and I know someone else who only feeds Iams biscuits. I see the benefits of Iams but I prefer the idea of meat to go with it - even if as a separate meal (like meat in morning then biscuits at night)

However, 2 questions-
1) is meat from butcher on the morning and bowl of Iana biscuits at night enough? Large dog with two walks a day
2) if so, any idea on quantity? How much meat / biscuits to feed each day and approx how long would a £32 bag of 15kg food last?

Any guidance appreciated!

Thanks
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2012, 05:04 PM
There is really no benefit to Iams biscuits all they are is a filler with no nutritional value to them .

There are plenty of good quality kibble foods around, most should benefit your dog, you just need to choose which one is best, taking into account cost, and what suits him.

Some brands to look at.

Arden Grange,

James Well-beloved

Burns

Royal Canin

Take a look here........www.zooplus.co.uk/

Plenty to look at,

Also the better quality , then cheaper they seem to work out on a weekly baisis.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2012, 05:46 PM
It shouldn't cost anything like £20 a week to raw feed one dog, I have 2 adults, one youngster and 4 babies at the moment and it probably costs me that to feed them all. You need to be looking for a suplier who will deliver to you, it works out very cheaply indeed and is much better for them than dried food
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2012, 05:49 PM
However, 2 questions-
1) is meat from butcher on the morning and bowl of Iana biscuits at night enough? Large dog with two walks a day

Yes if you feed him the right amount to keep him in good shape but I do agree there are better foods than Iams.

2) if so, any idea on quantity? How much meat / biscuits to feed each day and approx how long would a £32 bag of 15kg food last?

I think that is something you can work out by weighing how much he eats it to find out how much he eats per day and going from there.
And to start with if you want to add meat I'd just add a little meat to one of his meals to get him used to it first. Then if you feed twice a day you could do something like half the amount of dry food and add meat to each meal or do one meal dry and one meal of meat which ever suits. The amount of meat he would need would probably be less than dry food in volume. Then I would monitor his weight by feeling his ribs ect and adjust the food amounts as needed.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2013, 12:00 AM
I fed ours for a year on raw and found it very expensive.

Royal Canin do breed specific foods and probably as good a food as any you will get out there. Add some raw tripe several times a week and it should balance it out nicely for you
chandan
New Member!
Male 

02-01-2013, 10:57 AM
available pet foods like Hills, Royal Canin, Farmina Pet, Eukanuba, Pedigree etc are scientific and balance diet for dogs.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2013, 11:23 AM
If you have freezer space you can buy raw in bulk, in a variety of types.
I feed 4 dogs for around £60 per month (2 large breed & 2 medium)
Of course it depends on freezer space available...but I find it great for fussy eaters & dogs with allergies.
Dried foods should be avoided if they contain cereals, which are of no benefit to a dog at all.