View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-02-2012, 07:51 PM
My dogs still have goats milk as a treat, they love it. They have it diluted with warm water and can't get enough of it. They still have porridge too. A little of what you fancy does you good as they say.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 07:55 PM
My breeder also told me to give live goat's yoghurt and I did, because I will always take the advice of a good breeder, which she is.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 08:01 PM
I know quite a few breeders who do give goat's milk, and also quite a few who feed other stuff such as porridge and rice pud. Lots of experienced people also feed cereal based foods. It's whether it's actually beneficial that I was wondering or whether the breeders just give it to the pups because they always have, if that makes any sense?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 08:04 PM
I would have thought that any live yoghurt can only be beneficial, if only in a small way, and perhaps to rule out an intolerance to cow's milk/yoghurt, they advise to use goat's instead? I still to this day feed live yoghurt, sometimes it's goat's, sometimes it's cows.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 08:21 PM
I feed goats mild and wheatabix and I know nutrionally it has no value but Welshie are dreadful eaters and they love the taste so it seems to kick start their hunger.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Having a discussion today with a friend who's bitch is expecting pups. He's a raw feeder and said his pups will have goat's milk and asked if I would do the same. I replied that I didn't see the need for pups to have goat's milk, as they are not goats! What do you guys think - this is for small weaning pups before they go off to their new homes.
me and nana actually argued about this yesterday with my puppies.

i start weaning this week, and she insists my puppies should get a milky meal, like porridge with goats milk.

i argued they dont need milk. the last 3 litters of flatcoats i raised were all fed on raw, and didnt have milk and they all grew up fine. they were weaned onto raw food. my pups are being weaned on half raw and half commercial, still dont see the need to use milk, because the food will have everything they need in, and their mothers milk.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Thanks. So is it actually beneficial to infant dogs to feed them on goat's milk? Or is it just kind of humanising them (human babies need milk for x months etc.)? My friend said he had heard that it has lots of health benefits, but I'm not sure how true that is. I can't find anything that says puppies should definitely have milk from a source other than the dam.
If you're feeding a raw diet that is basically fed because it's species appropriate, I can't see the logic of adding goat's milk. When was the last time you saw a female wolf milking a goat to wean her offspring on?

I suppose it is humanising them as we have a deep seated tradition of thinking of milk from other species being a good and appropriate food for us.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
If you're feeding a raw diet that is basically fed because it's species appropriate, I can't see the logic of adding goat's milk. When was the last time you saw a female wolf milking a goat to wean her offspring on?

I suppose it is humanising them as we have a deep seated tradition of thinking of milk from other species being a good and appropriate food for us.
thats what i said to my nana daphni isnt going to go out and milk a goat
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Personally, for the amount of time you will be weaning pups of mum, does it matter if you give them a bit of goats milk, weetabix or rice pudding.

I have seen many litter raised this way, it does not harm the pups, the point if weaning is to introduce solid food , and get them off mum, most bitches will naturally reduce the milk she allows puppies to take off her (sharp teeth and all that) so what`s the harm in giving them a little bit of goats milk, as long as it does not give them the trots, why worry.

Breeders have been doing it this way for many many years.. and they seem to get it right.

Its only for a couple of weeks, don`t get hung up on, what some say you should not do , go with the advice of your breeder, they raised your pups the right way, and you were happy with it, its always the best advice to follow.
Rupert57
New Member!
Male 

22-02-2012, 09:27 PM
We always give goats milk to puppies as this is the nearest thing to a bitch's milk - never give cows milk !
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2