Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 07:19 AM

Leeaving your dog alone all day?

i may have posted this a while ago but new thoughts are welcome....

i was speaking to someone the other day who thought nothing of leaving their dog for at least 6/7 mabey 8 hours a day -

i can see 2 sides to this - 1 being the dog sleeps at night so therefore he/she can last all day... and also they get used to things.....

the other side being that a dog is there because we want them so its upto us to be there for them if you get me?

anyhow - i wouldnt leave my doglets for longer than 4 hours - 5 at a push - (happend once or twice recently)

If you had to work, and you had to leave your dog - whats an acceptable amount of time???? (for any dog)?

no im not planning to leave them btw lol -im getting a dog sitter in after christmas as my hours are changing
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Personally I wouldn't ever want to leave a dog alone for any longer than 5 hours max, but some dogs are absolutely fine with it and most become used to it.

It's a topic that will always be controversial, as you've no doubt seen in my thread, but one that I feel should be left to the individuals to decide. If they want to do it and think it's OK to do it then really, who are we to judge.

I wouldn't want to be without my little furry face for any longer than I have to anyway, and Woody - haha ;o)
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Hmmmm.....

I have left dogs all day and they've been fine. It's true, they do get used to it.

Since having Mya, and because I work locally now, I come home at lunchtime. There really is no need, as all I do is wake them up. The novelty of me being there lasts about 10 minutes, and then they all head off upstairs back to bed......

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2008, 09:30 AM
In the past when I worked for a living I used to leave the dogs all day. I worked in the centre of London so there was no chance of getting home for lunch. I did work flexi time so could escape early but I think it all comes down to quality time anyway, lets face it many dogs have owners around all day but still don't have a particularly good life. Once I became self employed my dog came to work with me, and the lazy sod slept under the desk all day.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 09:30 AM
It would come down to the dog and owner.

People do get dogs and work and the dogs are perfectly fine and adjust to it.

It also depends on what those people do before and after that time doesn't it - do they have excersise before and after being left - do they devote their time when they come home to them? - are they left alone or do they have another dog for company?

Puppies are different as well - a puppy could not be expected to be left that long at all - very unfair.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Personally I think it depends on the dog.... I wouldn't leave mine for any length of time, they are a breed that requires someone about, (infact I was asked by the breeder I got the boys from and others I contacted) But there always is someone home for them.... Then, saying that my Mum's Dachshund was left whilst her and Dad worked... so yes it depends on the dog in my eyes....
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
In the past when I worked for a living I used to leave the dogs all day. I worked in the centre of London so there was no chance of getting home for lunch. I did work flexi time so could escape early but I think it all comes down to quality time anyway, lets face it many dogs have owners around all day but still don't have a particularly good life. Once I became self employed my dog came to work with me, and the lazy sod slept under the desk all day.
Great way of putting I was kind of trying to say that!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 09:57 AM
I personally don't think its fair if the dogs have been alone all night to then leave them all day.
A lot does depend on the dog but I won't leave mine longer than 4 hrs at a push and if I have to someone comes in for at least an hour with them to give them a game.
My cavaliers however wouldn't have been too bothered as long as they had a comfy sofa to sleep on, but then all my dogs have always slept in my room with me at night too so are not really shut away alone.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 10:26 AM
to me, a dog needs company -dogs are not designed to be alone. i would leave 2 or more dogs for some time - provided they had access to an outdoor space, but to shut a social animal up alone for most of its life would not be legal if if were in a zoo, so why should it be ok in a house
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Im self employed so my day is a bit random
4 hours at a time is normal and no problem
but a couple of times amonth it might be up to 8 hours - and its no problem cos I have built up to it

and they aint alone at night - there with me
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >