Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2005, 02:53 PM

Help Ferret Heart Problems

I just wondered if any of you had any experience with a dog - or any other animal for that matter - with Cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure.
My ferret Stinky became unwell quite quickly last week and spent two days at the vets very poorly. He is home now and we are waiting to see how he gets on in the next few days and decide what to do. The vet thinks it is CMP

I know from research on the net that although it is not curable it is treatable to the point that the animal can have a good quality of life for a couple of years. So if anybody has any experience of this situation I would be grateful to hear of it
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi Het Sorry to hear about stinky, I can't speak for ferrets or their ailments, but Amy has a form of age related congestive heart failure resulting in a 'murmur',her heart valves are not working as they should. A while back she started to have sort of fits we think because the blood was not being pumped effectively by the heart to the brain . She was put on drugs called A.C.E inhibitors 'Vasotop' which help to make everything work better. They are have had a fantastic effect on Amy and have given her a new lease of life, I know this will not last indefinitely but she is well at the moment and enjoying every minute.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks for replying Mini, much appreciated.
Ferrets ailments are apparently very similar to dogs for some reason, they are susceptible to Parvo and distemper and other doggy viruses, so their medical treatments are fairly parallel - which is why I asked the question on here as I wanted peoples experiences of CMP in dogs. I seem to have been moved to 'other pets' though so I must have put it in the wrong place
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Aww poor Stnnky
I hope everything goes well Het
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Sorry to hear about Stinky, not aware of ferret problems at all, but Poppy has a heart defect and has had for years. I think it's best to start treatment earlier rather than later as the vet told me that the heart tablets she is on in no way 'cure' the problem, but they slow down the degeneration. Pops has now been on the tablets for 4 years and is 12.5 years old, a pretty good age for a cavvie I think and though the vet told me about 6 weeks ago that she didn't have long left, she seems to be proving everyone wrong (touching wood) thankfully. Good luck.x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi Het yes I moved it because it was not dog related ....
Also I changed the title a little in the hope of attracting more info
Although ferrets and Dogs have smilar illnesses they may react differently to drugs. Heart drugs do have implications for the kidneys and it might be good to here from ferret people in particular about the condition and treatment.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi Het

Yes Mini followed our rules and moved the thread here as those other sections are for dog related questions only. If you really want the opinion of the condition in dog owners only, you may start another thread there but do not mention the ferret (if anyone asks you can post a link to this thread).

also, I found this for u: http://www.2ndchance.info/cardiomyopathyferret.htm
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks all for the best wishes and thanks Azz for that link..particularly helpful as it names and describes the drugs that can be used.
And Katrina Poppy sounds like shes doing great
I am going to see the vet tomorrow as he wasn't there when I collected Stinky yesterday. from the info that I have gathered so far it looks like things will depend on how damaged his heart is already as to whether treatment is worthwhile.
Its certainly been very quiet around here the last few days without him bouncing about
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2005, 10:44 PM
hope the wee man gets better or at least goes steady very soon
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Awwww Het I'm so sorry little Stinky is ill with heart problems - I didn't see the thread at all and didn't know he was ill until last night when Luke said he was in the the chat room I have a soft spot for little Stinky - how is he now is he any better Give him a big hug and kiss from his Aunty Foxy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >