Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2009, 07:17 PM

Retained baby teeth question...

Has any one had any experience with a dog retaining its baby teeth once the adult ones have come through?
I'm asking because of Mouse. The first I noticed was a top incisor, the adult tooth came through behind it - pushed it forward - it gradually came loose & came out. Now her lower K9's are retained & showing no signs of leaving at any point in the near future. I have spoken to my vet & asked if they were prepared to do an extraction on the same anaesthetic as the spey which they were happy to do. But I'm worried that the adult teeth won't go into the right place. The only dentals I have experience in are old dogs with lots of build up & the odd extraction. Am completely new to retained puppy teeth!
Any insight would be greatly received. Thanks in advance.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi Hilary How old is your puppy? I had a dog with retained deciduous teeth , they were on the upper jaw at the back two on each side and the vet removed them when she was spayed at nine months old.

I would make sure your puppy has plenty of hard things to chew on to help the teeth to come out naturally.
vxvienta
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2009, 03:33 AM
I had the same problem with one of my toy poodles and they had to be taken out as they just wouldn't move and it was causing swellings on the side of her face and we where worried the adult teeth would end up sticking out. So don't leave it to long
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Ok = the new teeth coming through are on the inside of her mouth, so it will be the ones on the outside removed. She's 6 months old. With one of the top incisors the new one came through behind it then muscled its way into position & eventually the old one fell out. I'm just greatful it appears she might be in season atm so spey time is just round the corner.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 08:05 AM
As she's still so young I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. Give her a nice marrow bone to chew on and it should work them loose. Very few dogs require surgical intervention if you give them plenty to chew on.
Becky
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi guys,
My Yorkie retained most of her baby teeth, the vet removed them when she was speyed after her first season, now my chi has retained 2 bottom teeth but the amount of chewing he does I'm sure they will come out he's only just over 5 months, though he has loads more to come out first, keep chewing boy.
raw4us
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:02 PM
One of my pups has a retained canine on the top jaw. He's now 10mths old, vet has advised castration and removing tooth at same time. If you are not thinking of neutering then you really do need to consult vet with a view to surgical removal.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Mouse is only 6 months old isn't she? plenty of time for her to loose those extra teeth yet, give her lots of hard chews/bones for her to bite down on and hopefully that will help her get rid of her baby teeth.
It's known that a lot of the toy breeds have retained baby teeth, some need extracting some dont. If they are still there when its time for her to be speyed then i'd get the vet to take them out at the same time.
I enquired at my vets the other month how much it was to get a puppy tooth taken out.. I was shocked at the price.. £120 - 180 for a 2 min operation!!! on a 2kg dog, bearing in mind i've only paid £140 for a spey which to me is by far a more complicated operation on a 25.2kg dog!
Needless to say I didnt have the tooth extracted, glad I didnt now actually as it fell out on its own accord a couple of weeks after I asked at the vets how much it would cost.