Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-11-2009, 10:31 AM

How do you go about joining the APDT?

I am just starting out. I am a trainer at a club and always still learning.
One day I would like to join the APDT as I like their ethics.
How do you go about joining?
Should I be doing anything now to help my application? Is there a waiting list?

Any members on here that can advise please?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi,

If you have a look at their website there is a seection on how to join up properly. There is only one type of membership in this COuntry (or there was until recently but you'd have to check). To become a member you must be able to answer certain questions about dogs, dog care, training, etc and you'll need to pass an assessment. All the assessments are fully booked for this year and are probably mostyl full up for 2010 too so the sooner you get yourself booked nto one of them the better.

The assessment involves you attending with an assessor also (obviously) and you'll take a group of owners and their dogs. They will be of all different abilities in their training, of different ages and breeds. You won't be told beforehand who can do what. You'll have to give a short "training" session as part of your assessment - just basic stuff that as a trainer you'll be able to do without any problems. There is also a written part and oral aspect tot he assessment.
[mod edit]

Until you pass your assessment, you can always ensure you stick to their policies anyway - no training discs, no choke chains, always use positive methods etc.

Good luck,

Laura xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Some posts have been removed..
Please read our posting guidlines in particular this one (6.6)

Promoting other sites or forums. This is spamming, .
http://www.dogsey.com/posting-guidelines.htm
Thank you