Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Handling raw meat

At our local supermarket (I wont say the name of it) there is a fresh fish counter and meat counter, and a couple of staff serve on it, sometimes there is just one person serving. The same person serves meat or fish. Well when the person serving has been serving a customer with meat and then another customer wants fresh fish don't you think the person serving should wash their hands before serving fish after serving raw meat? Well they don't! I questioned this with another member of staff who works in there and she said she would go and find out for me if they had to wash their hands, and apparently they don't have to

Well do you think that sounds right? It doesn't to me! I would have thought they would have to after serving raw meat! I just wondered what other peoples views are on this.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't know what the rules and regulations are but I would want them to wash their hands.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I have to agree, whatever the rules and regulations are, I would personaly like/expect them the wash their hands when they serve me
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 09:01 PM
i think it's worse when they handle money with the same gloves as meat/fish.. yucky!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
If it was raw and cooked meat/fish then definitely.
Both raw should be a matter of coutesy.
I used to work in a very posh deli, and we were ALWAYS washing our hands between everything we sold.
If you touched your face, scratched, etc you washed your hands.

I can't abide people behind meat or deli counters wearing gloves as I think good handwashing is much better.
I'd rather they touched my food with clean bare hands than gloves that have been everywhere!
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2008, 08:37 PM
They don't wear gloves when they are serving so no problem there, but I do feel people serving on these fresh meat/fish/or deli counters in all supermarkets should have very special training in how to do things in the most hygenic way for the customers. It puts you off going to them. The trouble is I have a phobia about bones in fish so I will only buy my fresh fish from this particular store as it is such good fish and I always buy salmon tail ends, and cod loins which cost me alot of money but worth it because I have never found any bones in it as yet.