Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
Umm Hi Pod how is the diet I feed omnivorous?? I mentioned on a day to day basis all they get is raw meat, bones and offal? They will get left over veg something like once in a blue moon not even once a month so I wouldn't call it part of their diet They get a whole carrot every now and then to play about with more than anything. So I think the diet I feed does reflect my belief that dogs are more carnivorous Am I missing something? I can get easily confused you know
Sorry Mys I though Jess had made the comment I was replying to. I can see now I've quoted you....don't know how that happened!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Sorry Mys I though Jess had made the comment I was replying to.
...Thanks
snowpawz
New Member!
Female 

19-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
Mini,
My neighbours pup, who i have during the day was pooing all over the place after i gave her milk, and i persisited ( ) and now she is fine. .

why??? why would you want to subject any dog let alone a youngster to the discomfort of fermentation in the Digestional tract..... especially,when there are other foods of equal benefit ??????

Im astounded!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2006, 06:10 PM
One thing that really worries me about raw feeding /BARF and you never hear mentioned is the possibility of bacterial infection.
Because a lot of chicken and raw meat contains harmful bacteria and although a dogs stomach acid may cope with this a humans can't and there is a risk of cross contamination to surfaces where any contaminated defrosted chicken or meat has been. This could lead to serious health problems particularly if you have small children or elderly people in the house. This problem is obviously not the same for those who feed their dogs outside or in a kennel .

If you have a dog with a beard or profuse furnishings again there is the possibility of cross contamination from bacteria in meat getting onto the dogs furnishings then onto the human. I am aware dogs put there noses in many things but to me this is not quite the same feeding wet possibly contaminated meat on a daily basis . I think the problem with contaminated meat has grown over the years with the extensive use of factory farming and the overuse of antibiotics leading to resistant strains of bacteria. Rabbits and wild birds don't present quite the same problem.

If bones are fed there is always the possibility however slim of bone splinters puncturing the gut or oesophagus and causing serious injury or peritonitis, I have know this to happen in the days when fallen stock was fed in kennels.

I do feed small amounts of raw meat with care, never bones (unless cooked till soft in a pressure cooker then minced).
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 06:15 PM
dogs also sniff other dogs bottoms, lick their bits, and eat poo (of most species). That which they dont eat, they are just as likely to roll in

If we apply your concerns, i dont think any of us would keep dogs at all
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
dogs also sniff other dogs bottoms, lick their bits, and eat poo (of most species). That which they dont eat, they are just as likely to roll in

If we apply your concerns, i dont think any of us would keep dogs at all
To me that is not the same as having meat contaminated with bacteria all over your floors and in your fridge ...
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 06:42 PM
I was addressing this:

If you have a dog with a beard or profuse furnishings again there is the possibility of cross contamination from bacteria in meat getting onto the dogs furnishings then onto the human.

my point being dogs are as likely to come into contact with 'unfriendly' bacteria on a daily basis, as they are with meat.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
One thing that really worries me about raw feeding /BARF and you never hear mentioned is the possibility of bacterial infection.
Because a lot of chicken and raw meat contains harmful bacteria and although a dogs stomach acid may cope with this a humans can't and there is a risk of cross contamination to surfaces where any contaminated defrosted chicken or meat has been. This could lead to serious health problems particularly if you have small children or elderly people in the house. This problem is obviously not the same for those who feed their dogs outside or in a kennel
Hey mini In my experiance I see no difference in preparing any raw meat to go in the oven for us to chopping a chicken in half for the dogs?...It all gets done on the chopping board and all gets washed so I'm not sure how preparing meat for dogs is any different to preparing it for ourselves?

I feed my dogs the big chunks that don't go in bowls on a sheet on the lino'd floor in the kitchen once they are done I take up the sheet and it gets washed.

"profuse furnishings" this makes me (cute term)
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2006, 06:47 PM
All I know is that all the raw meat I feed is frozen first. Parasites are in raw meat as they are in cooked meat that isn't well done - and enzyme killed. Cooked food is dead food - enzymes, vitamins, anti oxidants - all killed.
I feed my dogs outside, they eat from bowls not the floor, it is prepared outdoors in the shed and they have their own freezer. And don't worry about me getting cold in the winter I have a portable heater

Its cooked bones, not raw, that splinter.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by snowpawz View Post

why??? why would you want to subject any dog let alone a youngster to the discomfort of fermentation in the Digestional tract..... especially,when there are other foods of equal benefit ??????

Im astounded!

ANd Welcome to Dogsey

Why not introduce yourself
Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »