Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Christine
Now theres a surprise, looks I`m out numbered on this I

Anyway just did a quick google & my understanding of link below is if you`ve had the initial 3 vax as a child & 2 boosters later in life you`re covered for life

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068839/
Hi Christine maybe it's an age thing....I am pretty sure I never had vacs for tetanus as a child although I was bitten by a dog when small....I had the first at 19 when bitten by a dog and have had them about every ten years since
I guess there may be others like me who did not have vacs as a children.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I think they made it so all kids at school had the vaccs after 1961 so it says in the link given.

Depends if you were before of after that mini

I should have had mine but haven't got a clue if I did or not.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Hiya, I had no idea about it & just assumed cos others had said its every 10yrs that its needed, so on a whim did a google & thats what I came up with

It says routine immunisation of children started in 1961, so assuming majority of kids had it at school from then on & then a further 2 later in life then cover/immunity is for life......

even if its an age thing & left schoo; before 1961 if you`ve had 5 in your lifetime you`re still covered for life, thats how I`m reading it anyway

This could be a bit of a debate here who`s reading it the way I am, or have I got it wrong, wouldn`t be the first time

I`m intrigued now
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Being diabetic I am very careful to keep on top of these things, I asked my nurse recently and she told me the last one I had will cover me for life, so I won't need another.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2006, 05:04 PM
You have a good nurse there then C/C
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm glad really as I haven't had one for a few years and dreaded the thought of the whole course again.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Working with horses i had to have mine every 5 years. OUCH!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 05:45 PM
I would have thought with me being diabetic and more prone to problems that I would of had to have them more often, but she did assure me that once you've had a booster you definitely are covered for life.

My husband works on the docks, he was boostered every 5 years, but they've told him the same now too.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jules1
Working with horses i had to have mine every 5 years. OUCH!

Why does working with horses mean you need every 5 yrs J

Did you read the link http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068839/
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
I would have thought with me being diabetic and more prone to problems that I would of had to have them more often, but she did assure me that once you've had a booster you definitely are covered for life.

My husband works on the docks, he was boostered every 5 years, but they've told him the same now too.
Doesn`t work that way C./C My mums in sheltered accomadation & few yrs back nurse came round as usually does every winter to give all residents flu jabs. mum told me this in coversation on the phone & my mum was given the jab. I asked her if nurse had taken any med info from her, no, it went *all line up with your sleeves rolled up for your jab*

My mums been on steroids for a few yrs, so have some of her neighbours & some are diabetic like you. I told her what I knew & ended it with saying well for goodness sake at least ask your consultant when you next see him if you should have the flu jab!!!

Little over a yr later & she just lets slip over the phone * oh I didn`t have the flu jab this year* I said what whys that?? Oh well I asked Mr so n so what he thought & he had a look thru my records & said *no my dear I think you should give it a miss

Like I said C/C you`ve got a good nurse
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >