Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 02:16 PM

Injections Help

Had a call from the vet to say Samson is overdue his booster, I explained that I don't intend to have it done every year as it's been said that having them yearly is too much and could even be poisoning them, She says that she has never heard of such a thing and that the injections only last 13 months so he will be unprotected, But if I insisted on leaving it for 3 years he would have then have to have the 2 injections like they have as pups? which means he would be having 2 in a fortnight.
I said No and that he wouldn't need 2 then as they only have 2 as pups in case the mothers milk still has left an immunity so the first jab doesn't work.
I know I am jabbering on a bit but I am just rechecking that I had read that doing it yearly is bad?
Any help is appreciated, I felt like a little school kid when she spoke to me, like I was making it all up, and now i'm not sure that i'm not??????? lol x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 03:45 PM
You are not making it up and it annoys me that some vets are still trying to make their bread and butter out of over vaccinating our dogs.

My vet told me quite clearly a couple of months ago that boosters last a minimum of 3 years and maybe longer or even a lifetime. She advised me because of Lily's reactions to never have her boostered again as she will more than likely have lifetime immunity now anyway. She also said if she was me she wouldn't have had Kyiro done anymore either.

I done a lot of research into boosters after having lost 3 dogs at young ages to auto immune disease and I would never booster yearly and I certainly would never have the whole course again if I was overdue it is not necessary. I would find a vet for vaccinations that doesn't have this archaich veiw.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 03:45 PM
vets want you to have it every year because thats how they get easy money

daphni is 5 in september and has only ever had her puppy vaccs.

asbo has never been vaccinated.

however they do both now get herbal nosodes (although i do forget to give them some times!)
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-03-2013, 03:55 PM
It lasts at least 3 years, and I actually challenged one of my vets on it, and in the end he admitted they did last 3 years, but after a lot of waffle, which I didn't catch most of because I am pretty deaf!!!
My puppies have the first course, and then I will booster Mabs this year, then that will be it for her till she is 5. Lona had a vax a year last December'ish and will have another at 10, Cariad has an horrendous reaction and I don't vax her at all now. Keshi will have her booster next year, will see if she has a reaction like her mother or if she is OK. Have been considering the nosodes actually, and also the titre testing, but lots of threads on here saying the titre testing is useless.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Thank you, I like the way my vet is with my dogs, it seems to be the money grabbing managers. But they try to make you feel like some complete looney and put their "From a vets point of view" like how would you know anything, and try to make you feel like you are putting your dog at risk and makes you feel wrong even though you know you are right.
Glad I am not a nutter though lol, I will stick to my guns and when it's time I will insist on just a booster not the 2 lots
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 04:04 PM
See I asked about the titre testing too the other month when I was thinking this all through and they spoke to me like I was stupid for even thinking about it?
I might move vets to be honest I do like them but surely they should be moving with the times and not just pushing the same old stuff to us like we are stupid and can't decide from literature ourselves.
Same with the suprelorin, she couldn't understand why I would want such a thing done when it is easy to neuter, I gave up explaining about his fearfulness in the end as she would not accept that a neuter could make him worse and as suprelorin is reversible/ temporary, if it had a bad affect then it would be no problem and neuter was permanent.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-03-2013, 04:40 PM
You know when I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry and asked about the Superlorin when I had Blaidd they did all the research on it and gave me all the ins and outs before I had it done. I think I have got better vets than I realised, I have always been impressed with them, but reading about all the goings on elsewhere I am so glad I found them!!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 04:41 PM
If I didn't ever have my dog boarded or travel with her I would not be having all these annual boosters either. I was told some of the annual ones they give actually last up to 5yrs?

I know what you mean about the way they spoke to you. When I mentioned that, for a dog flying in and out again after just a WEEK the regs state it must have the flea tick and WORM treatment before each flight and this results in them having strong worm treatment twice in a week when you'd normally only give it every 3-6 months (or sometimes only if thought necessary) I was just commenting on it and the vet lit on this TIRADE of a lecture starting with 'have you ever seen a tapeworm?' But still didn't answer why dogs that are travelling might need it TWICE in a week if it's actually effective for months. Ditto the frontline - for some dogs it would cause irritation to have it applied so often - especially tiny dogs because the smallest size of most things is up to 10kg that means a 4kg dog gets twice as much as it needs (or I think that's what it means)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 05:07 PM
I would imagine this was the receptionist that rang you about the booster, as this is what they do, along with sending out the cards. They also think they know more than the vets when you try and dispute what they are saying! I've had this many a time from a receptionist with wormers, and if I dare mention what I have learned of course they have "never heard of that".

Look at your vaccination card, see which vaccination you had, and then go on their website, see how many years protection they give you, be it 3 years or even 5 years or MORE sometimes, print it off and take it down there and then let THEM dispute it!

The annual boosters are always just lepto and kennel cough unless you've used up the 3 or 5 years on the main vaccine jab in which case, you just get the one jab, doing it all over again, all 5 or 7 vaccines in one hit.

I once asked a vet about the necessity of these annual boosters because of my old Georgie and his problems, and he said he had never once seen a case of lepto in his life, most of the strains of it were not covered in his one vaccine, and if you're lucky, it might last 3 months, so no, there's no point in having it if my dog wasn't living amongst rats. The kennel cough wasn't necessary either unless he was going into kennels, which he wasn't. My previous dog who had every single annual booster going, got kennel cough twice, having never seen the inside of a kennels, and died with a sarcoma on her shoulder possibly caused by over vaccination because this is a cancer which forms ON the site of vaccination (I think they even call is vaccination sarcoma!).

My dogs never get annual boosters now, but when the time comes that my current vaccine expires next February, my dog will be getting another shot to protect her from parvo. If there was one, single parvo dose, she'd be having that alone, but sadly, she's got to be hit with 5 or 7 diseases all at once.

When people are in unproar about the MMR for their kids, is it surprising that we worry about no less than FIVE vaccines attacking our dog's immune systems in one hit? I don't think so!

If I were you Zoe, I'd ring that receptionist back and ask her WHAT exactly is in this annual booster she is so convinced that your dog requires, because you've looked on the manufacturer's site and it is telling you in black and white, that your dog is covered for such and such years, then see what she tells you! So you then ask her WHY she is saying your dog needs to have a full vaccination as a booster every single year when usually it's only lepto and kennel cough, and make HER look the fool lol!

They're as bad as SOME doctor's receptionists aren't they these vet's ones Oh I've 'addem in my vet hospital where I was before, and I've got one here too now, but she keeps quiet on me now
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2013, 06:17 PM
The trouble is if you need to board your dog for any reason this is what you are up against:

On arrival owners must produce an up to date annual booster vaccination certificate which includes kennel cough a minimum of 14 days prior to boarding.

We are unable to board any dog without proof of vaccination.

If the health of any dog is causing concern on arrival, the kennel management reserves the right to refuse admission.

So if we are saying that vaccinations now last 3 to 5 years or whatever, then the vets need to issue this edict to the boarding kennels. Then we will all be on the same page.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >