Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2006, 11:59 AM

Critiques being published in the newspaper

Thought it might be useful to mention as so many people I speak to at shows don't seem to be aware of it and even at a seminar the speaker was not aware of it, and we all get disappointed when our critiques don't go in the paper.

The KC request as part of the judging contract that critiques are to be submitted to the dog press for breed open shows and Champ shows only.

Therefore you can go to a General open show and unless the Secretary of that club has added into the judging contract that the judge must submit a copy to the paper. A judge does not have to write or submit a critique to the press.

So if chasing critiques it's always worth speaking to the Club secretary first, if they haven't put the extra bit in the contract then it's a waste of time contacting the kennel club.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2006, 10:10 PM
So it can be a waste of time scouring the dog papers' and thinking we 'must have missed it' because it may never have appeared in the first place?
It's nice to have comments on your dog when its deemed worthy of a place, even if it is only an open show.

unless the Secretary of that club has added into the judging contract that the judge must submit a copy to the paper.

Can I ask, if the judge isn't commited to writing a critique, does that mean he won't, or that he doesn't have to? But he can if he wants? Or not?

Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2006, 09:08 AM
My judging appointments (Open) have always included a requirement to write a critique and envelopes for the two main dog papers in the UK were included in the pack on the day. I took a dictaphone and transcribed it as soon as I got home so I could still remember the finer details not recorded at the time. I believe that it is an essential part of the function. I was disappointed when I was told to only give a critique for the first and second placed; when I did the judging diploma, I had to write an extensive critique on all five presented to me for the practical. Very scarey - I had to make comments against every part of each dog!!!!

For Irish Kennel Club and FCI shows here, there is no requirement although the Group winners at Champ shows (and BIS obviously) are reported on, it seems. It does seem to make dodgy judging a little easier to get away with (apart from in the eyes of the knowledgable spectators) as the judge doesn't need to explain themselves at all.

However, despite having more Champ shows in the Republic than in the UK, the only dedicated newspaper only comes out 4 times a year so if full critiques were done and published, it would be nearly too heavy to pick up!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Many breed clubs require an undertaking from aspirant judges (of their breed) to submit critiques (for that breed) or they will not be accepted onto judging lists.

If critiques are not forthcoming within the set time scale, then the breed club will follow it up.

I do feel that it is only good manners having had the honour of an invitation to judge a breed, that a critique be submitted. Sometimes there is a good reason for lack of crit., other times it is just plain rudeness/arrogance.

jmho
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi Leospride
This is at General Open shows only. If the club hasn't stated that a critique must be written and sent to the dog papers, then the judge has no requirement to write or present a critique.
I regard judging as a priviledge and as people are good enough to enter their dogs under you. You should send a critique in.
I hope that the KC will change the contract wording to include General Open shows in the judging contracts and not leave it to each individual society to include.
I'm still waiting for a champ show critique and even this years Crufts critiques to come through to the papers, but alas nothing. At least I can chase these through the Kennel club but you do wait a while to get a response. Remember also that sometimes the newspapers do lose the critiques sometimes. I would contact the dog papers first, then the Club secretary. If they haven't put the wording in the contract. Then you don't have a leg to stand on. However if they have put it in. They then have a responsibility to chase the Judge in question.
Hope this helps.