View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janey83
New Member!
Female 

09-10-2006, 09:16 PM

Dog behaviour patterns (for an assignment)

Hiya, Im new to this dog site (im on catey.com though) and (if this is in the wrong place then please feel free to move it)

Ive started college doing an animal care course and i have got my first assignment.
And was wondering if any of you can give me any normal and abnormal behaviour patterns in a group and of a single dog/s?
Thank you, It would be much appreciated.x.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Would love to help but not quite sure what you mean.

Do you want particular incidents or just general thoughts?

And welcome to the site
janey83
New Member!
Female 

09-10-2006, 09:42 PM
erm, any really. See i don't have dogs so don't know what they get up to lol.
Just like how they become dominant, facial expressions, anger/happy. that sort of thing.
and for abnormal.... somethin like shadow chasing.

If no one can help, don't worry about it. Just wondered if i could get some good information. thanx anyway.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 10:14 PM
My dog doesn't have any particular behaviour problems but he does do things that seem to be in keeping with his breed. ( Hope I am not tempting fate by saying that).

He is a Golden retriever and just loves to swim - he will swim in a bucket if he can squash himself in.

He also prefers to walk through the undergrowth rather than stick to the paths which again is probably a breed trait as they are used to retrieve game from wherever it has fallen whether that is on land or in the water.

He loves carrying things in his mouth but is very gentle with objects - he can carry an egg without breaking the shell.

Hopefully someone else will come along who may be able to help you out more.

Good luck with your assignment
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Hello :smt039
My two both wag their tails when they are happy, tail wagging though can also tell you when the body position
is lowered - nervous or unsure of a situation or person (you've heard the tail tail betwen the legs) well thats a almost certain sign your dog is nervous or unsure.
My two bow their front legs when playing with each other bum in the air sems to mean either chase me or come on see what I've got.
Is that the sort of thing you want?

My two are Stafforsshire Bull Terriers and love to play tug with a toy.
janey83
New Member!
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Hiya, yeah that's helped. Thank you.
If you notice anything else do not hesitate to tell me. hehe.
Thank you again
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:16 AM
i think it is abnormal for my 11 month old husky x alsation to be humping her 'brother' after he attempted to hump her and she told him off...now she is doing it to him and it is so weird...
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
i think it is abnormal for my 11 month old husky x alsation to be humping her 'brother'
Sorry Jess, I thought this was hilarious

Dogs (like wolves) have lots of facial expressions, combined with thier body language, can tell you an awful lot about how a dog is feeling

I've found this link for you, hope it helps

Dogs facial expressions
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 11:17 AM
I find it stressful!!

-------------------------

I have been working with a sheepdog trainer this weekend and it changed the way i treat my dogs. I am now a 'dog' more importantly the 'leader'. I saw her look at her dog and smile and then not changing her BODY's language, she frowned and looked angry. The impact on the dog was amazing.
I learned to growl this weekend!
My dogs are not wandering too far from me now....

This all came about as my two 'big' dogs where taking off and coming back from the forest after me waiting an hour for them back at the car.... So my new theory is if you want to be with me you can, but you have to 'work' and if you don't, then you are out of the 'pack' which is not such a nice place to be.
It's exciting really, and strangely they are accepting it, and seem 'happier' although it is early days yet...
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
I find it stressful!!

-------------------------
Sorry Jess, I didn't mean to offend.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >