View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 05:37 PM

How does your dog react to verbal/physical praise?

I've decided that Molly has become too reliant on treats lately so we've been practising working with just verbal praise and lots of strokes. I was unsure if it'd work because Molly is usually so food orientated but she has been going absolutely nuts for it! So nuts in fact that now anytime I praise her she does zoomies!

How does your dog react to praise? Does it work for you or are they indifferent?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 05:43 PM
I use all sorts of reinforcement depending on the dog, the context and the type of training I am doing.

Toys/play
food
body contact
verbal praise
freedom to scent

etc

There is a hierarchy of reinforcement, the dog tells you what that is, and if you are wise you choose wisely!

I do not believe that a dog can become too reliant on treats, any more than I can become too reliant on being paid for my labour!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
There is a hierarchy of reinforcement, the dog tells you what that is, and if you are wise you choose wisely!

I do not believe that a dog can become too reliant on treats, any more than I can become too reliant on being paid for my labour!
Then it would appear that I've chosen unwisely in the past and am now correcting the issue
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 05:47 PM
I tend to prefer it with Culotte than giving treats, in fact nearly all of her training has been done with praise alone. If I do start giving treats I have lost her as all she is interested in is the treat I found very early on with her that praise goes a long way
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Tone of voice, facial expression, verbal praise, and body language.

And then a pat on the head and an ear twiddle!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 05:58 PM
i dont think mine would respond well to just praise when it comes to training. I use their kibble and this works well for me.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Really interesting to hear the differences between dogs! Must say, we are a fan of ear twiddles here
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh yes ear twiddles go a long way
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I use treats, toys (usually a ball) & praise.
My most recent one is just praise.
We are seeing a behaviourist at the moment for some issues indoors & I've had to adopt one word commands in a stern voice otherwise I'm being ignored. Then I'm giving praise in a happy voice. The tone of voice is really making a difference as I'm saying "Tilly move" in the stern voice & "good girl" when she's moved in a happy voice........ I feel like an opera singer
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Lots of praise here, I must be a bad, as I very rarely give treats... only at bedtime and when I leave them.
When you working more than one dog at a time I find the treat never got to the right dog, so praise it is!!

Works for my lot.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >