Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
davout
New Member!
Male 

12-02-2010, 08:28 AM

Labrador with recurring pseudomonas ear infection

My friend has a six year old black labrador with a recurrent pseudomonas infection on the left ear.

The vet says it's probably an allergy to something in her environment, and it's unlikely that she'll ever be free of it. The vet has used ear cleaners such as TrizEDTA and CleanAural, and has used most of the eardrops on the market. The last bout was diagnosed as a pseudomonas infection by a new vet, and was cleared after a course of Marbocyl P (80mg strength marbofloxacin), preceded by courses of broader spectrum antibiotics as well as stat doses of antibiotic injections and steroid injections.

Now the pseudomonas infection has returned and my friend is unsure how to proceed. I read on another dog site that antibiotics are the wrong answer to this problem. Can it ever be cured?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 09:49 AM
If the vet suspects allergies - and I had a GSD with atopica (skin / ear problems) - I`d start by trying the biggies first -
feeding and parasites
I put my girl on a `pure` food with no colourings etc (e.g. Burns) , cut out all treats I didn`t make myself ( dried liver) and also gave her a spot-on once a month that killed mites and fleas (Stronghold).
This might be a start - if it doesn`t work you have at least ruled those two triggers out.
Good luck with it.

sorry - If the infection has taken hold again you will need ABs. The allergy is only weakening the body`s defences so it can multiply. So prevention must go alongside treatment, not instead.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 10:59 AM
My mate had something similar with her dog, they changed food to raw and cut out all yeast and grains and their dog has been so much better.
Hope It can get sorted.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi Davout welcome to Dogsey . I too would try a diet free of gain and additives and if you don't completely want to go down the rout of feeding raw this raw meat and veg based food may be the answer..
http://www.naturalinstinct.com/

... or a fish based complete food like this one (though some of it does contain some yeast) http://www.fish4dogs.com/about-our-foods.aspx

Burns fish and brown rice doesn't contain yeast http://www.burnspet.co.uk/dog/fish_brown_rice.asp
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Recurrent ear infections "can" be a sign of a suppressed immune system, has your friends dog been tested for Hypothyroidism?