Our sister sites
Shelleyp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:47 PM

Help please

hello everyone

i hope ur all ok

does anyne know how i can get into working with animals? ive been looking and applying for jobs for almost 5 years now i went to sparsholt college for 2 years and got 2 qualifications the first diploma in animal care and the adavanced national certificate in animal care,

all the replys have either refused on the grounds of no experince well where am i supposed to get experience if they wont give me a chance? or i get as far as the interviews then they find someone better

i am going mad in the job i am in at the moment (checkouts at sainsburys) what do i do??

hope you can help somewhat

thanks love shell xx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Do some volunteer work with local rescues to get experience
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Agree with Joedee, you can work it round your current job which is a bonus. I volunteer at Dogs Trust but it took me over three months to get in there as I had just missed an induction when I rang for an application form. It's really enjoyable and will get you vital experience. Good luck.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi there

I always wanted to work with animals too, however I am near retiring now and it never happened !!

How about getting experience by volunteering at rescue kennels/catteries in your area on your day off ? I used to muck out at our local stables in return for a ride. Or how about asking to shadow a vet nurse at your local vets or someone doing the sort of job you desire ?

I satisfied my need by having a reasonably good and interesting job that paid enough for me to care for several dogs and indulge in showing and breeding them. My hobby takes up a massive amount of my time and I dont quite know how I fit a full time job round it !!

There are lots of opportunities to attend seminars and learn so much more about dogs/showing/breeding/genetics/training that I could never be bored.

What would you actually like to do ?

THalice's Mum
Shelleyp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:13 PM
id just love to work for the dog trust or something like the rspca but the nearest dogs trust to me is newbury which is a 30 min driving distence away and i dont drive yet
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Shelleyp View Post
all the replys have either refused on the grounds of no experince well where am i supposed to get experience if they wont give me a chance?
Why not ring them when you get this type of refusal and ask the place where you have been rejected if they would be willing for you to volunteer for a while so that you are better prepared the next time a job comes up with them?

It has many benefits. You gain that vital experience you lack and the organisation see someone who is ultra keen to work for them so you stand a much better chance at the next interview
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 06:48 AM
If you are prepared to live away from home, you could check out this place http://naturalanimalcentre.com/working.php

They take on work placement students & provide free education, (both attendance on the courses they run plus informal learning via working with their own animals), free accommodation & help with living expenses.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 02:40 PM
There is an organisation that looks for volunteer dog walkers for elderly people (don't know if can name it here), in different areas of the country, might be a start (bit of experience) if you don't drive n they need someone nearby.
TalitiaJaxleigh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Def volunteer as others have said. I have just started volunteering at my local animal shelter and a very kind member of staff has mentioned that if I wanted to apply for a job working with animals then they can help me and hopefully put in a good word. I havnt done any courses yet but hoping to in the future

Gem x