Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Had some horrid news re: an older training club member,

Hi, all
I met one of the older members who used to come to the training club regularly,
I had wondered what the problem was as I have seen her a couple of times when out with my dogs and she had orla with her, the min she saw me she was off in another direction, Met her today minus Orla her white german shepherd, I asked if everything was alright, she went on to tell me that orla is now terrified of dogs,
I could not believe it, she was so happy to play with dogs.
there in lay the problem, she said that one day whilst walking in an area where she would often meet me and mine she saw a rotty in the distance, she assumed it was me and never really thought about orla running to meet it,
as it happend it was not my dogs and when orla got up to the rotty bitch it went mental, Fiona said it was horrific,
Orla took off with rott in persuit, she saw it grip orla a few times each time it was around 30 seconds of very savage attack then orla would break free, she said she ran over a main road with the rott still at the back of her, she and the rotty owner tried to keep up but could not, lucky she new orla would run home so she and rotty owner headed that direction, when they got there the rotty was sat at the road end, orla on the doorstep screaming, she had a rip down the inside of her thigh around 10" running from the tummy to the inner thigh, and several other major bites, she obviously tried to submit to the other dog and was torn apart underneath, I feel really bad about it, she thought it was my dogs, apparently the dog now takes off if she sees another dog when off lead, and when on lead attacks anything that gets to close,
I said when I get back from crufts I would do one on ones free of charge to try and help her,
This is the second dog that has been hurt when out as its used to playing with my lot and has seen a rott and went thinking it would have a play, only to get there and be mauled,
I feel quite bad about it, so sorry for them,
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2007, 07:36 PM
such a shame. hpefully theladys dog will overcome her fear in time with plenty of help
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Don't blame yourself, it's the moronic owners who have dog aggressive dogs off lead that are the problem. It wouldn't have matter what breed it was, the dogs behaviour was unacceptable and the owner should have accepted responsibility for that.
I hope you can sort Orla out to realise that not all rotties are bad.
Becky
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I do feel for this poor dog, however you are not to blame. Credit to you for offering some one-to-one with her to try and overcome Orla's fears. Credit also for having such good natured dogs who are good ambassadors for your breed.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 08:09 PM
How awful. I do hope you can help Shona
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Dear god, poor Orla

It will be lovely if you can help her overcome her fear, it is awful that a few irresponsible people ruin it for everyone - what a horrible thing to happen to her
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
How awful. I do hope you can help Shona
Me too - poor Orla xxxx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2007, 08:17 PM
its not your fault your rotts are fine with others and they want to play on sight.
as terrible as it is i can't help but think if they was on the lead untill they knew it was your bunch it wouldn't have happened.
not many ppl can keep up with dogs that are running scared.
i hope she gets over her fears.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 09:15 PM
an awful story. Lets hope with some TLC and some gentle one on one Orla can rediscover the joy of other dogs...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 09:27 PM
thanks all, I know deep down I am not to blame but I did feel a bit strange, I had an image in my head of orla running up with her silly happy face thinking yippee shona+playmates + bumbag = good old play and a bit of liver, then this image of utter terror it was quite saddening, and Fiona says she has compleatly changed, her whole outlook on life is one of fear and worrie, so so sad,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >