Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 03:07 AM

best time to train on a long lead to 'come back'

he is 100% in the house and i have now trained him....to come back to a doggy whistle!! as a doggy whistle never sounds angry even if they dont come back on the 3rd try!! lol!

so my questoin is, when is the best time to teach, after a long walk to ware him out a bit so he is less exctied? or before??

i know how to do it so no help needed there!

just now sure on when!!

thanks!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Whenever you feel best for him
If he is a bit distracted before a walk then give him a walk to tire him out
when were you doing it when he was in the house? have you trained anything else outside? (saying that cos if all his training has been inside and all outside is for is walks then he might be a bit confused and expecting a walk)

Have fun whatever you decide
Whistle is a good idea as you say the tone never changes - but you shouldnt be calling 3 times anyway - call once then make him come back
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2008, 08:45 AM
I have always called my dogs back, whenever they've been a couple of metres away from me.. I have never used a long line, but I can certainly see the benefit in that..

I suppose if you're the most desirable thing for your dog, he would want to come back, regardless of the time - before or after...

I have always been extremely lucky with the dogs I've had over nearly 40 years - not counting my first one at 10..

Cheers
Lene
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Whenever you feel best for him
If he is a bit distracted before a walk then give him a walk to tire him out
when were you doing it when he was in the house? have you trained anything else outside? (saying that cos if all his training has been inside and all outside is for is walks then he might be a bit confused and expecting a walk)

Have fun whatever you decide
Whistle is a good idea as you say the tone never changes - but you shouldnt be calling 3 times anyway - call once then make him come back
lol well that is a bit obvious!!! i know that he is meant to come back at once thats why i am teaching him! lol
he does in the house, but that time i took him out he went off & wouldnt come back! so now im re-teaching him!

i do it all the time round the house so if his tired or not i still do it!

so ill tire him out first i think that will be best!

Originally Posted by Lene View Post
I have always called my dogs back, whenever they've been a couple of metres away from me.. I have never used a long line, but I can certainly see the benefit in that..

I suppose if you're the most desirable thing for your dog, he would want to come back, regardless of the time - before or after...

I have always been extremely lucky with the dogs I've had over nearly 40 years - not counting my first one at 10..

Cheers
Lene
lol well you are lucky! but thenks for the reply!