Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ckcs
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2006, 07:20 PM

how to train my dog on the lead?

I have just got a cavalier king charles spaniel, he is 2 1/2 and his last owner didn't take much to do wit him so i have had him a month and thought it was time to try him off the lead and every time i do he runs away! what can i do? he also dosen't know basic comands so tryin to teach them aswel so i can't even shout stay as he doesn't know it haha HELP
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by ckcs View Post
I have just got a cavalier king charles spaniel, he is 2 1/2 and his last owner didn't take much to do wit him so i have had him a month and thought it was time to try him off the lead and every time i do he runs away! what can i do? he also dosen't know basic comands so tryin to teach them aswel so i can't even shout stay as he doesn't know it haha HELP
Firstly do please don't let your dog off lead until he is fully trained, Cavaliers are noted for their selective deafness when other thiongs attract their attention

Treat him as a puppy in your training & you might want to get a Gwen Bailey book called The Rescue Dog/ Adopt the Perfect Dog it is really good sensible advice

If you want to teach your dog to do the basics like sit on command, lie down etc do this the same way you would a puppy for example when you are sitting in a chair & he comes to you & sits tell him sit & give him a really tasty treat eventually he will associate the word with the action & bingo you have a dog who sits etc on command

Well done for rescuing the little lad, he has fallen on his paws
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 09:50 AM
agree with jodee ..........do not let him off until he has learnt basic commands...you can do this at home with titbits ( cavaliers love food training )

sounds like your dog has had a bad past so i wouldn't rush to train him just give him lots of time ans love he will soon become your loving companion when he learns to trust humans again x
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2006, 10:03 AM
believe me ckcs i so know how you feel!!!! my rescue springer sam came to me with no manners or basic training whatsoever!! he pulls like a steam train, and there's no way i can let him off the lead yet. i take him to 2 training classes a week which have helped no end. i also do alot of clicker training with him at home, which he's really responding to.

for his pulling i've tried alsorts of harnesses. i must have spent a fortune on them. alsorts of haltis etc. i'm just waiting for the gentle leader to come. but really its just patience and repetitition that will pay off in the end, and lots of praise . i also use a long line for outdoors so he can still have a good run round, but ultimately i've got control. i use just a normal harness for that cos otherwise his neck would be red raw.

for his recall, i'm just starting whistle training, which he's responding to very well, but not tried it with distractions yet . i'm sure there are lots of peeps on dogsey who will give you invaluable advice, as i'm pretty much a novice! hope all goes well....keep us updated
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi ckcs I would forget his age and start from scratch as with a puppy first teaching the basic commands so that he learns what is expected and to obey you, only then would I move on to teaching the recall.

This article on first training for a puppy by Shadowboxer may be of help
..http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526

also this one on teaching the recall..
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8049