View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timberwolf
New Member!
Female 

05-03-2006, 10:27 PM

my dog jumps and barks whenever i get his lead - how can I train him not to do this?

Can anyone help my 7 months old (N.I )jumps up and down and barks ever time we get his lead we have tried just putting his lead back and sating down again but he just starts up again. Ann/ Timberwolf.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 12:01 AM
To welcome our own Ann to dogweb, well done Ann on getting on board. My advice to the lead would to de-senstitive Nico to the lead, leave the lead where he can see it close to the door, touch it when your not going anywhere so he doesnt see it as always the pleasure of a walk.
Im sure Ann you will get some good advice from here on, Carole & Shadowboxer will give the best advice as I have always experienced. Glad to see you made it Ann!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Hello Ann and welcome to Dogweb

You are going about things the right way by putting his lead back and sitting down when he barks and jumps, but you will have to do this on each occasion - which will take time and a lot of patience

Is it only the lead that gets him excited or does it start when you prepare for a walk, i.e. putting shoes, coat on, picking up keys, etc.?

Does he know, and obey, 'sit' and 'quiet'?

I would try to put aside an hour or so to teach him that the only way he is going to go for a walk is if he sits quietly while the lead is attached. Pick up the lead, tell him to sit & quiet. If he persists in jumping/barking sit down with the lead and try 10 minutes later. Repeat this as often as required even if you run out of time and he does not get a walk. (You may find that he will be rather puzzled by your behaviour and will come and sit near you trying to figure out what is going on. If he does this and is quiet, attach the lead. If he starts performing take the lead off again). Northern Inuits are, I believe, intelligent dogs and he should not take too long to realize that the lead goes on only when he is displaying good manners. If he starts jumping/barking after the lead is on then take it off and start again. Don't growl at him when he gets excited, just ignore him - and don't forget to give him quiet, low-key but sincere praise when he behaves well

As mentioned by Luz, if the lead is the trigger then you can also desensitize him to it by carrying it around with you during the day when you have no intention of walking him.

If it is your preparation for a walk that contributes to the behaviour then, as with the lead, desensitize him by doing 'blank runs' - put shoes, coat on and then take them off several times during the day.

The above should condition him not to expect a walk every time you get ready and not to expect a walk every time the lead is in your hands so he should be calmer when a real walk is going to happen.

Hope this will help - let us know how you get on
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Excellent advice from SB.

Only thing I would like to add if I may is I would also start doing a little bit of obedience training on-lead in the house. Just simple stuff like bit of heelwork, down-stay, sit-stay that sort of thing.

This will also help him realize that the lead does not automatically equal walkies! It also adds control to his daily routine.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Ann you need to introduce yourself on the introductions page.